Wiring question.Please help

markknx

Active User
Registered
I want to wire this jet 15 to run on 120V. the problem is I am not sure if red or black should be hot. the motor is a reversable 115/220V. Here are the scymatics on the motor.
001.JPG006.JPG008.JPG
thanks for any help
Mark

001.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG

Mark,
do those wires come out of the motor, or the switch? Can't quite see it in the pictures. In reality, it doesn't make any difference on the wire color unless they are dedicated on one end i.e. soldered or crimped onto a coil that forces it into 220 operation. But If they come out of the switch, they should both be switched, as in DPDT, so the neutral would be switched along with the "hot". If lead connections are all in the motor and switching connections there is possible, it won't really matter as long as both are switched.

But, I gave specific conditions here, and I won't recommend you apply them until we can get confirmation on the winding selection at the motor, and the switch type. Need more info.

Tony,
Thanks for responding. the wires are coming from the switch. correct on the DPDT. The motor wires are all connected in two groups too the wires from the switch, and are grouped as follows A2,3,4 connect to Blk. A1,1,2, connect to Red. This is what the motor plate shows for clockwise rotation at 115V. This is the rotation and Voltage I need. So if I am following you correct I should be ok with the leads from the switch either way.
Thanks a whole bunch for your help and please let me know if you understand what I typed, and if I am on he right path with this. also I know it is hard to work out problems with electric long distance so thanks again for the help. BTW were you able to make out the schematic on the motor photos?
Thanks, Mark

Mark,
do those wires come out of the motor, or the switch? Can't quite see it in the pictures. In reality, it doesn't make any difference on the wire color unless they are dedicated on one end i.e. soldered or crimped onto a coil that forces it into 220 operation. But If they come out of the switch, they should both be switched, as in DPDT, so the neutral would be switched along with the "hot". If lead connections are all in the motor and switching connections there is possible, it won't really matter as long as both are switched.

But, I gave specific conditions here, and I won't recommend you apply them until we can get confirmation on the winding selection at the motor, and the switch type. Need more info.

That is correct, Mark. You will simply choose one of the existing wires to be neutral. I suggest you mark it in some way, with a wire marker, or some white tape at least. The other is the hot, and of course, you still should have the green as ground.

Tony thanks again, and a lot. I was pretty sure about it but I did not want to pay for a new motor. Thought I better ask for help instead. I will wire the plug On in a little bit and see what this machine can do.

Thanks again
Mark

Back