Wiring my 3 Phase Lathe to my RPC

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My 220V, 3 phase lathe is coming in a few days. It is a 5HP machine. I have my 10HP RPC all ready to go.

The good news is that my RPC already has a female outlet (I will post a picture), so all I need to do is connect the wires from my new machine to the male connector (I will post a picture).

Ideally, the machine would come with a male plug already on it. However, I anticipate having to connect the wires to my male plug. As far as I know, maybe the machine will come with no plug or wire.

Understand that I am only asking about the connection from RPC to the lathe. The connection from the wall to the RPC (including consideration of breaker sizes) has already been taken care of.

Last edited:
Since the lathe isn't going anywhere why not just hardwire it rather than using an extension cord? That way the outlet will be available for anything else that needs it.

John

Here is the female receptacle on my RPC:

83B5CE2E-2068-4154-97B6-B61213D38E63.jpeg

Easy if you have the matching plug, only hitch is possibly needing to reverse wires at the plug to achieve proper rotation direction of the lathe spindle.
I also agree with the above response. When and if you get another machine that needs 3 phase, it becomes a PITA to constantly have to change plugs.

Since the lathe isn't going anywhere why not just hardwire it rather than using an extension cord? That way the outlet will be available for anything else that needs it.

John

The lathe definitely isn’t going anywhere, but I need to keep the RPC receptacle available for plugging a mill into it later.

Yep, those are good plugs and Leviton is very proud of them. Plastic conduit and wire won't set you back much, possibly less than the male plug and definitely less than that and any length of insulated 4 conductor wire for an extension cord.

John

Here is the matching male plug. The company that sold me the RPC sold me this at the same time:

image.jpg

And here is the wire. This was also part of the single order from American Rotary:

image.jpg

Maybe I should hire an electrician to decide where to attach each wire. My Dad (who was an electrician) helped me with my 220V welding plugs, but he doesn’t know too much about 3 phase.

Back