Wiring a PM25

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My PM25 is finally in my basement. Found a good location, save for power. From what I understand, I need a 20 Amp circuit. I have a several locations for breakers in my electrical panel. So I just need to run 12-2 romex from the panel to a box? The run is about 25-30 feet. It would seem there needs to be at minimum of 4 outlets. 1 for the mill, 1 for the power feed, 1 for the DRO, and 1 for a light. (And 4 more outlets, just because there is never enough...) Is 12-2 ok for this use? Also, is it required to have a GFCI breaker for this use?

If there are 20-30 amp GFCI breakers, to me basement, has the potential for water in an unforeseen incident. I maybe off base though.

I wouldn't use GCFI breakers unless I was forced to. If the basement gets wet deal with that before using any machinery down there.
12-2 should be fine.

But if it were me and it was only 25' I'd run 10-3 and break it out for two separate 120v circuits if I had two spaces in the panel. That way I'd be ready for a 240v run at the same location if/when I upgraded the machine.

JMHO,

John

If there are 20-30 amp GFCI breakers, to me basement, has the potential for water in an unforeseen incident. I maybe off base though.
Not disagreeing with you at all. I wasn't sure if a PM25MV would run with a GFCI. I recall reading about an LMS mini-lathe that would not run on a GFCI. Using a GFCI is good, but the actual breakers are pricey. Arc Fault breakers are even pricier!

I’ve also heard there are issues running machines with speed controls on GFCI controlled outlets.
I’d run regular breakers and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we have two weeks worth of rain it gets damp with a little water on the floor. I run a dehumidifier to make it more pleasant, otherwise it gets a little dank.

There is still space in the panel. Running 2 circuits or 1, is just about the same to me. It's funny, I just ripped out some armored range cord. That stuff was stiff! It was 1" OD. It had ancient insulation in it. Kind of scared me to have it around.

I also sent an email to PM about GFCI.

I'd run at least two 12AWG runs to the box. One for the mill, one for everything else.

I've been known to overkill wiring though... My 1 car garage size shop has 2x 220v 30A, 1x 220v 50A, and 6x 120v 20A with outlets every 6ft or so.

Lived in a place a while ago with cloth jacketed wiring, in use. Tube and ball in the walls, not connected. Thankfully my current place has up to date wiring.

I still have some knob and tube left in the house. Internal walls mostly. Had all the external walls rewired when the house was insulated.

Stringing two runs of 12-2 seems like a good idea. That way the mill is on its own circuit.

I'd run at least two 12AWG runs to the box. One for the mill, one for everything else.

I've been known to overkill wiring though... My 1 car garage size shop has 2x 220v 30A, 1x 220v 50A, and 6x 120v 20A with outlets every 6ft or so.

Lived in a place a while ago with cloth jacketed wiring, in use. Tube and ball in the walls, not connected. Thankfully my current place has up to date wiring.

Two 12/3 runs will give you potential for a dedicated 240v and two 120v circuits. You would need at least 3 spaces in your panel, preferably 4 so you can have separate breakers for 120v, not duplex.

But, that's really just future proofing. A single 20 amp circuit should run what you have right now, it's just easier if you think ahead and 50' of 12/3 is only about $55 at Home Depot. All of us here know how machines tend to multiply once you get started in this hobby and just want you to be prepared ;)

John

make your wire 12/3 so you also have a good ground to the machine. if,in the future, something should go wrong, you don't want you machine to have the potential to "float"above ground - should you touch both the machine and something that is hard grounded.

just for added safety.

Back