Wiring 110v Baldor Single Phase to GE Drum Switch

ryanj1234

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey everyone,

I've got a Baldor single phase motor and GE drum switch currently wired for 220v, but I need to rewire for 110v. Can't seem to find a diagram for what I need, although I'm sure it's out there... Probably even on this site. Attached are pics of the motor spec and I did my best to get the single phase diagrams from the inside of the drum switch, kind of hard to see. If anyone could point me in the right direction I appreciate it!

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 10
  • switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 10
  • switch2.jpg
    switch2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 10
Yes, that would work- it will draw a lot of current but should be ok on a standard 15 amp outlet
Make L1 be the hot (blk) wire and L2 be the neutral (wht) wire from the power cord

Last edited:
Yes, that would work- it will draw a lot of current but should be ok on a standard 15 amp outlet
Make L1 be the hot (blk) wire and L2 be the neutral (wht) wire from the power cord
When you say it will draw a lot of current - that's because it is such a large motor to be wired for 110?

When you say it will draw a lot of current - that's because it is such a large motor to be wired for 110?
13.2 amps on a 15 amp circuit is mostly on start up though right?
A sustained load would require a 20 amp circuit.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting, I have a 3/4 HP Baldor with a 3450 RPM rating. The amp load 115- is 4.2.
That's quite a spread between a 1HP and a 3/4. Your motor has the low RPM option though.
You would think the higher RPM would require more amps?
I'm an idiot with electric anything.

No Jeff, that's the running current under full load
The startup surge is higher, but is so brief that the breaker doesn't trip

1 HP and higher I usually recommend running on 240v , but with some more efficient motors 120 volts is doable
The house wiring gets warmer, and the switch contacts arc and burn more quickly. With a long wiring run, the voltage
that actually reaches the motor is less than 120v because of voltage drops so you don't develop full power

1 HP and higher I usually recommend running on 240v , but with some more efficient motors 120 volts is doable
I see. Eventually I want to wire my garage for 240, but I wanted to get this running as soon as possible and dropping the voltage seemed the easier option

Back