Wireless USB dongle setup

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
Hey Tormach brethren. I seem to be monopolizing the Tormach section as of the last couple months...sorry about that. Here I go some more.
So I have the Edimax EW-7811Un V2 N150 and when I plug it in and go to admin network it's not listed. I manually add a wireless with SSID and password, still not listed. Anyone have any experience with this or their wireless setup at all?

I tried 2 different wifi adapters without success, did not find one that was compatible from local stores, maybe because linux based, not sure but as soon as I plugged in the Tormach wifi dingle worked Immediately. i read some models are compatible but I didn’t have any luck finding one.

Yep, thats the one I have, it is the one Tormach sells. It acknowledges when I plug it in and unplug it via the status screen. When I click the internet button on status screen it opens internet connections and I just see the ethernet. I would go that routebut I'd have to have a 50' cable running through living room. I guess I'll have to get Tormach involved for help. Might hit the Tormach forums at cnczone, there is a lot of peeps on there...maybe someone might have some ideas?

I have the Edimax wifi dongle on my Tormach. As I recall, I installed it from the Linux Gnome panel. It's a bit tricky getting to the Gnome panel. One way is to hit left shift +left alt on boot up. You have to time it just right though. Uawually, when the Tomach logo first appears. Another way from path pilot is cont + alt + x which will take you to the terminal. In the terminal, type gnome-panel and the Gnome header should appear. From there, you should be able to set up the Edimax dongle. It was several years ago and I can't recall exactly what I did though. In the system drop down menu, you can access help for more information.

Yeah the shift alt on left side of keyboard gets me there...I tried everything I could (I don't know the OS at all.) It did ask for admin password...no idea what that may be..not password or admin. Either way, I had no lucking monkey pawing it.

I was afraid of that issue being in IT all my life.. I know the difference between should would and will it work. it all comes down to drivers that Tormach has installed in their pathpilot. if its not the same chip set as what they have installed it won't work. I just paid their price and bought theirs. at lest with doing that I have someone to complain about if it doesn't work. if you want to dive into installing linux drivers etc I don't see why it wouldn't work. but its most defiantly not plug and play.

Back