Winchester Model 70 Bolt, What are These Holes for?

Jason812

Registered
Registered
I'm finishing up the tooling to get started on my first rifle. I was going to sleeve the bolt just for the learning experience and noticed there are 2 holes on the bottom of the bolt where the front sleeve will go. Anybody know what these are for? I can't find any info about them or that many people that have sleeved a Winchester. In the picture they are the 2 holes farthest away from the bolt face.

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• 20231220_002641.jpg
    20231220_002641.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 25
The small ones are likely for the extractor and ejection spring retaining pins. The large one I think that In case the primer blows out. They are vent holes to reduce the likely hood of high pressure gases and debris back to the shooters face. That is what I see on my Mod70. Maybe
Pierre

Last edited:
I was thinking that but wasn't sure. Guess I need to plan on drilling the sleeve and if I mess it up, getting a custom bolt.

Sleeving is great, but the last three actions I've done I just ordered a gauged bolt body from PT&G. For the $150 a pop spent, it's a huge time saver and no more solder lines that won't take bluing. If you're on a budget though, thumbs up on sleeves.

I've read a lot of cons with sleeves I just mainly want to do it just to learn. And a Winchester bolt from PT&G is $300. I like Model 70's but they more expensive and harder to find parts for.

I've read a lot of cons with sleeves I just mainly want to do it just to learn. And a Winchester bolt from PT&G is $300. I like Model 70's but they more expensive and harder to find parts for.
As an accurizing step, sleeves are great. Makes the action feel a whole lot better. It's just time-consuming. It certainly is great practice, and they come out nice finished with a tool post grinder.

Yeah, there is a lot more to producing a Win bolt, that's why I like the simplicity of Remingtons. Just the bolt body shouldn't cost $300, though, that's gotta be the price for a one-piece bolt (I'll never understand that one, timing the bolt and tuning the rear cam isn't possible like it is with a braze-on handle).

Back