Winchester low wall

hdskip

Active User
Registered
I have a Winchester low wall in 38-40 that needs to have the barrel relined. Has anyone here attempted this procedure? Many years ago a local gunsmith advised just relining the chamber area. I've not heard of anyone doing just the chamber. This is a family heirloom that has been in my family since the late 1890's. Any input would be appreciated.
Gary

Hi Gary, I have one reline under my belt, with two more waiting. If you have the right tooling it is a fairly simple process. I used my lathe, piloted drill bits (Pacific tool and Gauge ) and a TJ liner. My #4 Rolling block shoots pretty good. I had an extension rod welded to the drill bit to get through the barrel. glued the liner in with red Loctite( I can look up the # if you need it) Then re-chambered, cut the extractor with a file. I don't know the particulars of a low wall, but the barrel relining should be the same. A google search for gunsmiths to reline should give a few names, and there are a couple youtube videos on it. I preferred to stay away from the handheld drill method, but that's just me.

Are you wanting to change the caliber or just get rid of a rusty chamber? Also is it a 38-40Win (short cartridge) or 38-40 Remington (longer cartridge)?

The barrel is in pretty good shape. The chamber has several gouges in it. The caliber is 38 WCF. I've got the drill and lathe and skills to do this. It's just screwing up the courage to get started. Something about the significance of this gun in my family history is somewhat intimidating. Thanks for replying and maybe I'll get started.
Gary

Some photo's of your project would be helpful
Cheers Kiwi

Hi Gary, Another possibility is to sleeve the chamber. With the barrel out and trued up in the lathe, bore the chamber oversize to the diameter of the rim recess and forward to the intersection of the shoulder and neck. The remaining wall thickness can still safely contain the chamber pressures. Prepare a sleeve plus .001, heat the barrel, freeze the sleeve and bingo. One advantage of this method is that without setting the barrel back a thread, you can cut the sleeve to tighten the head space and compensate for the wear on the shoulders and pins.

Back