Winchester 94

You have a large 30-30 WCF family of rounds. 38-55 , 32-40 , 25-35 , 7-30 waters , 32 winchester Special. Bet I missed some rounds. My point is the over all lenght I think should be close enought to feed thru that winchester 94. Case rims are same size. Gives you alot to chose from. Makes it easy if your a bullet caster. Sounds like fun project. Have fun.

Cool project thanks for posting pictures. I really like the takedown concept but I don't know if my skill set is up to the task.

"I really like the takedown concept but I don't know if my skill set is up to the task."

Frankly, neither do I, but I never let that get in my way......
I've only got $100 into the donor rifle, and am taking it slow and easy. If I had to make a living at this, I would have starved to death long ago.

I have a Winchester 1892 re chambered for .357. It was 32-20. Works fine. I bought the rifle that way. The 1892 of course,was made for pistol cartridges. They cost so much,though,because of the cowboy action shooters.

Cowboy action shooters DO buy up certain models of old guns. And the '92 is a favorite. I think I must have close to $2000.00 in mine after buying it and having it refinished to like new. I doubt I could recover the money I have in it. I've seen beautifully restored 1906 pump .22's at gun shows for $1200.00+.but they never seem to get sold. I got lucky years ago,and found a decent 1906 for $400.00. Trouble is,they are all mostly .22 short or WRF. I could spend another $400.00 buying a brick of .22 short ammo to shoot!!:)(When are prices EVER going to get back to normal?) Every now and then,Walmart says they get bricks of .22LR to sell for $17.00. But,they instantly sell out.

Cowboy action shooters DO buy up certain models of old guns. And the '92 is a favorite. I think I must have close to $2000.00 in mine after buying it and having it refinished to like new. I doubt I could recover the money I have in it. I've seen beautifully restored 1906 pump .22's at gun shows for $1200.00+.but they never seem to get sold. I got lucky years ago,and found a decent 1906 for $400.00. Trouble is,they are all mostly .22 short or WRF. I could spend another $400.00 buying a brick of .22 short ammo to shoot!!:)(When are prices EVER going to get back to normal?) Every now and then,Walmart says they get bricks of .22LR to sell for $17.00. But,they instantly sell out.

If you watch a few places, every couple of years Winchester does a run of .22 WRF. Not cheap but it is nice to fine the ammo.

Prices will never be back to "normal". Notice that retailers that DO have .22LR in stock are charging $40/brick. They are figuring "People buy it, so why not make a profit?"

Rumors are afoot in the community that manufacturers are secretly working to replace .22 rimfire with a small centerfire round.

Fortunately I have so many bricks of .22 ammo,I'll probably die with some of them still on hand. Every time I was in Walmart,I used to pick up a brick just as a matter of course.

Good morning all,
A 358win will not work in a model 94. It is a necked up 308win and way to high pressure cartridge for this action.
You need a Savage 99 or a Browning BLR if you want it in a lever gun. The 356win is the rimmed version, same
psi or very close. The 35rem is in the same psi class as the 30-30 but was for the Marlin. The 35 cal necked up
30-30 is a wildcat. The 356/358win will blow up a standard top eject 94. The 356win rimmed might have been
chambered in the later XTR big bore 94 but I an not positive about that. That action has more metal in the locking
bar area for larger case heads/more bolt thrust. You don't want to chamber a barrel to a action intended for 30%
less pressure. SAMMI max pressure for the 30-30 is 42,000psi, 356/358win is 52,000cup or around 62,000psi.
A complete different cartridge class. The 357mag/max can run higher because of the smaller case head area, less
thrust per psi. The 44mag runs at 36,000psi. The 357mag 35,000psi. 357max 40,000psi but was never chambered
in the 94 from the factory to what I remember.

Be safe with your choice,
Take care,
Rick

Back