Winch Mounting ??????

Gary Max

Active User
Registered
I want to mount this winch and use it as a tugger to drag items off a trailer.
First thought was to build a deck waste high and bolt the winch to it.
Then a small thought ran across my mind---- mount it on the base (easy welding) and use a snatch block waste high.
Any one got a better ideal---------------- ????????????????

Thanks

DSCN1641.JPG DSCN1642.JPG

that looks pretty much the way I would do it. . . .
how do you keep the assembly from wedging under the trailer when your trying to slide something toward the end ? or am I not seeing the whole picture?

now lets try to complicate the thing. . . . . mount the winch on the trailer tongue, guide the cable to run under the trailer toward the rear and mount a roller (what are they called?) on the rear frame of the trailer for a guide and pull the cable to the part you need slid back. you could run the cable thru a plastic sewer pipe underneath, to keep it out of the weather or off the ground when your driving.

well, it would be unique, no ? ? ?

Right now I am thinking if I get dragging off the trailer right I will buy another winch for loading the trailer. Most of the time the trailer gets loaded by a forklift or skidder. I am spending hours working my lazy back side off trying to get unloaded.:lmao:

I need to drag logs off the trailer not to the end of it. I had read what you said about remotes so I stayed away from them, this winch has a 12 foot switch cord on it. If I put one on the front of the trailer I am thinking more like a 10k unit.:thinking:

I am in agreement with Franz. The mobile "tugger" will not work as well as a solidly mounted winch on the front.
This will take a little fabrication but, it should be easy. Mount the winch on the tongue. Fabricate a simple roller from pipe and place on the trailer wherever the cable would rub on the bottom at the front, center, rear, etc. Either fabricate a simple receiver or purchase a cheap one and mount it on the rear of the trailer as if you were going pull to a second trailer. Purchase/acquire a piece of rectangular tubing that will fit the receiver(say a 6' lenght). Mount the snatch block on one end. Drill 2 holes in the rectangular tube to accept a hitch pin, one hole for the storage position and one hole for the extended/in use position. Mounting like this will allow you to load and unload. If the cable rubs on loading, just add another roller at the place of contact. Maybe this will enable others to add some ideas. Keep us posted.

I want to mount this winch and use it as a tugger to drag items off a trailer.
First thought was to build a deck waste high and bolt the winch to it.
Then a small thought ran across my mind---- mount it on the base (easy welding) and use a snatch block waste high.
Any one got a better ideal---------------- ????????????????

Thanks
Gary

I just have to say the flat bar braces on your hoist are wrong flat bar in compression is useless tube, pipe, angle, yes but not flat bar.

For example take a 1x1x1/4 angle 12 inches long put it in a press on end it will take a butt load of force to compress put a 2x1/4 flat bar 12 inches long in the press and it will deflect (bow) with very little force.

Bob

Last edited:
Just keep altering as the job requires, or it breaks in which case it wasn't strong enough.

I am also looking to add a winch to the front of my trailer facing back. Was thinking to add a truck receiver to the trailer first, then the winch would not have to stay on the trailer when not needed or could be used on the truck.

Mount the winch so the mounting plate has a square tube welded to it so it can mount in a common reese receiver tube. Then you can instal received tubes as and where needed.

I have one more thing to get done and hope by the middle of the week to start working on this. The winch is rated at 45K but I really want to see it pull something before I get to far into this adventure.

I have one more thing to get done and hope by the middle of the week to start working on this. The winch is rated at 45K but I really want to see it pull something before I get to far into this adventure.

The winch has a rating of 45K, Gary is that the rolling load rating? Remember that a winch is used for pulling horizontally and a hoist is used for lifting vertical and a rolling load does not account for friction. Meaning a log weighing 3,000 pounds may take 20,000 pounds of force to get it to move and if it happen to get hung up it could easily exceed the rating of the winch and the cable. Just wanting to make sure you do not hurt yourself!

Good Luck!

Back