Wilton R8 collets from Zoro?

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have experience with the Wilton R8 collets that Zoro sells?

They are made in China with a pricepoint at $200 for a 13pc set. That puts them in similar price range with the Interstate (MSC) set and about twice as much as the similar sets from Shars ($100).

Zoro currently has a 20% off coupon which would put the set at $160. Just wondering if they are really any better than the Chinese imports from Shars?

Thanks for any feedback!

I have the 13 piece Interstate set and they are just fine, no issues with my set. I got them on sale for $69 with free freight from Enco a few years ago, before Enco was absorbed by MSC...

Edit: I have not tested the Interstate set for accuracy. They seem just fine. I have some brand new old stock collets from Lyndex and Royal in 1/8" increments from 1/4" to 1" for doing more fussy work. I have proven them accurate, amazingly accurate...

I have the Shars set and also a set of imports I bought years back from the little machine shop. No problems or issues regarding quality or accuracy of either. The fit and finish is acceptable. My guess is the majority of the imports are made at the same factory and packaged under a number of different vendor brands. By nature collets are pretty simple and accuracy should be pretty good on even the lower priced imports. I have seen some complaints regarding some the cheap imports ebay or amazon sells, but the issues are usually in regard to keyway slot issues.

Wilton these days, seems be just a relabeling of Chinese generic tools. I would recommend a decent brand, new Lyndex or Royal sets, they do come up on occasion on eBay (I paid $150 for mine many years ago). I have the Lyndex, and definitely much better machined then a few Shar's Chinese R8 collets I have. A good alternative is Vertex, I have some of their 5C collets, at least the old one where made in Taiwan and where good quality. On the Vertex I would get a 1/8-3/4" set and a 7/8". Since most end mills come in fixed shank sizes, you very rarely use any of the x/16th collets.
Vertex set ~$100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERTEX-R8-R...1-8-to-3-4-for-Bridgeport-Mills-/231863951469

Otherwise this Lyndex set and offer something like $200. This would be my first choice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-Collet-Set-13pcs-set-1-8-7-8-by-1-16-/262863478162

Lyndex on the left, Shar's on the right. I also had issues with the Chinese R-8 collets slot not being milled deep enough.
20170302_115805.jpg

(snip)I also had issues with the Chinese R-8 collets slot not being milled deep enough.
Which is fairly common and can also cause inaccuracy. It is possible to adjust or shorten the pin (or screw) to make the collets fit, but it is not always easy to get to the pin/screw to do the job. Don't try to grind it down by reaching a die grinder or similar up the spindle from underneath, just seems like a really bad idea to me...

Thanks for the feedback. I had eyed those Lyndex collets in the MSC catalog - somehow missed them on Ebay.

Just put an offer in - we'll see what happens.

Deal made! :encourage:

New set of Lyndex collets on the way - for just a little more than 1/2 the price of the exact same set in the MSC catalog.

Thanks again for being willing to share your experience (and to help me spend my money)! Hopefully my mill will arrive soon so I can start putting these expenditures to good use.

Crawford R8 collets are being sold on Ebay for $9 each. Limited sizes available. Crawford is no longer in business so If you need to round out your collect of the available sizes, here's your chance. Crawford's are spec'd at .0004" or less, TIR, better than Lyndex.

Back