Wilson “4 OUR a RB” Hardness Tester Problems

Defender92

Registered
Registered
Hey guys. I picked up a Wilson hardness tester today for $300. Model 4 OUR a RB. That model number is a mouthful.

Everything looks complete as far as I can tell. In very good condition, has all anvils, a diamond and ball penetrator and multiple test blocks. BUT I CAN’T GET IT TO WORK!

I watched a few YouTube videos and I swear I’m operating it the way they do. But the needle doesn’t seem to move after flipping the lever.

My best guess is something is out of adjustment. The lever that holds the weights isn’t making contact with what connects to the hand lever after I set the pre load. Can anyone tell me what I’m missing here?? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong??

Thank you

EDIT: I did add oil to the oil dash pot and adjusted the speed. That did not fix my problem.

View attachment trim.6A9EBD4E-644D-4B8C-B24F-69A99BCFC18F.MOV
780EA0E9-C068-48D5-B697-6CD87E3957AD.jpeg
B889D5D0-C5BB-403B-B058-2D7DF54CB8B5.jpeg
103C2B32-078B-4319-A62C-400CF12E0222.jpeg
10FD5D3E-7231-4EF6-90B3-4417C9192C84.jpeg
346133CB-9DB8-4F40-8DC8-43AE9BF392FD.jpeg
4FCB9263-6F76-470C-A54C-522D9659700F.jpeg
93454259-CC7A-4A23-A9C2-C72254E45632.jpeg
945D8617-0144-4CFA-A27E-2734FB0710F4.jpeg
41DFF1C2-DD7E-4D9E-8109-ACCEBB8D8DE5.jpeg
4DBFB139-42F8-45CD-A76D-DCF7FDAD08F7.jpeg
D5A4D60C-4481-4AE9-9CF3-7DF519E4BC75.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a Jr version of this tester. We move that chrome handle to unload the tester point, lift the stage to make contact and continue until the small needle is lined up with the dot. Zero the scale. Last step is to release the weights, which I do not see how that is done on your tester. Ours has a release mechanism that causes the chrome handle to swing back to fully loaded without our having to touch it and it takes a few seconds for it to swing.

We have a Jr version of this tester. We move that chrome handle to unload the tester point, lift the stage to make contact and continue until the small needle is lined up with the dot. Zero the scale. Last step is to release the weights, which I do not see how that is done on your tester. Ours has a release mechanism that causes the chrome handle to swing back to fully loaded without our having to touch it and it takes a few seconds for it to swing.
I think that mine is roughly the same as yours, it has a release mechanism at the base of the anvil screw that trips the side chrome lever, but one that I first used at the shop where I apprenticed did not have that mechanism, one merely tripped the chrome lever by lightly rotating it clockwise until it tripped and rotated by itself, after it rotated fully and maybe a few seconds passed, it was rotated CCW until it latched and the reading noted. My present tester is a 4JR. I also have a sclerescope hardness tester.

Yes thank you! I will look again but I didn’t see anything that fixed my problem at first glance. But one of the two manuals I haven’t seen before yet.

Sorry, I can't help, but I love your shop. Nice Bridgeport and Clausing.
Cheers
Martin

Thanks Martin! It’s a work in progress. Very messy for the moment. I’m limited to half of a 2.5 car garage. The wife won’t let me take her parking space :confused:

Does the needle move by hand?

Do you mean by adjusting it to zero / set? If so yes.

Mine pretty much operates the same way (I believe so). Except mine is all operated from one lever not two?

Found this

Thank you!

I think that mine is roughly the same as yours, it has a release mechanism at the base of the anvil screw that trips the side chrome lever, but one that I first used at the shop where I apprenticed did not have that mechanism, one merely tripped the chrome lever by lightly rotating it clockwise until it tripped and rotated by itself, after it rotated fully and maybe a few seconds passed, it was rotated CCW until it latched and the reading noted. My present tester is a 4JR. I also have a sclerescope hardness tester.

Wilson seems to have made many different models. Of course I get the less common one. A good parts diagram would be great. I could be wrong but I really think something is missing or something is really out of alignment. I will try to post another video today to help show it better.

I have those printed out.
The mechanisms all seem really similar, maybe they can lead you towards a solution.

Mine is a 3R, and it was free............

Back