Will this motor work for a VFD on a column mill?

Tomzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Greetings,

Changing belts all the time is driving me nuts on my HF 33686 column mill, so I want to move towards a VFD. The motor on there is single phase so I have been on the lookout for a 2HP 3 phase motor. I found this one on Craigslist for a good price and from what I know of these things I think it will work, but I was hoping some of you that are smarter than I am could weigh in on this.

Thanks

Tom2HP motor.jpg

The only issue I would expect is frame size. Many Chinese tools do not have NEMA frame motors so the bolt pattern, shaft height and shaft diameter may not match. That may not be a deal killer but it is something to watch for.

It'll work with a VFD fine. Mechanical adapters might be needed, but you can make them with the existing motor.

Thanks - for $80 I figure it is a low risk situation - and an opportunity for a fun project!

That should work although the 1425 rpm rating will hamper your high speed somewhat. Good price. I have the same mill and used a 1725rpm 2 hp Baldor on mine and love it. I kept the stepped pullies on mine and with a VFD range of 30 -120hz I can get 60 to 5000 rpm spindle speeds. I still change belts to get the motor in it's happy range but it's much less frequent than before the VFD. I extended the the motor mount bracket to make it longer and have more travel. This made belt changes much easier.

Attachments

• DSC_0870.JPG
    DSC_0870.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0872.JPG
    DSC_0872.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0873.JPG
    DSC_0873.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures - super helpful. As part of this project I am going to ditch the belt cover system as well. That clearly added flexibility in your motor mounting.

That cover has been gone so long from my machine I had forgotten it was ever there. Changing belts was like building a ship in a bottle.

Looks like we had the same idea on the installation of the quill DRO....Z axis.jpg

Looks like we had the same idea on the installation of the quill DRO....View attachment 397271
HA! At first glance I thought it was MY mill. There's also the round column problem and a really slow head lift. I f you haven't solved these yet on your mill I can share what I did on mine.

Those are on the list for future upgrades for sure! I did see you post some images on a thread that I started when I first got the machine. Is there a thread with additional details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back