Will This Furnace Work For Heat Treating?

Thanks Rick. I sure have a lot to learn! The toaster oven is a great idea. By the way, how do you test a revolver cylinder to destruction???? Does it involve a big BANG?

Bob

It does. My set-up is pretty simple. A folding work table/vise like HF sells for $15 and a long string. I clamp the revolver or cylinder fixture in the table, wrap the string around the firing mechanism and stand behind a very thick wall. Yank and hope for the best. Actually I only do destructive testing on a prototype. Once I establish the products safety limits, I proof test from there. That's done in the same way but with a max load plus 10%, commonly called a "blue pill". I take every safety precaution I can when testing.

It does. My set-up is pretty simple. A folding work table/vise like HF sells for $15 and a long string. I clamp the revolver or cylinder fixture in the table, wrap the string around the firing mechanism and stand behind a very thick wall. Yank and hope for the best. Actually I only do destructive testing on a prototype. Once I establish the products safety limits, I proof test from there. That's done in the same way but with a max load plus 10%, commonly called a "blue pill". I take every safety precaution I can when testing.

Cool! Do you have any pictures post destruction?

While you're testing this furnace, just be careful to NOT exceed the listed max temperature. That personal experience mistake cost me about $500.00 for new heating elements!

My furnace is about the same size as your's and has served me well.

Murray

Thanks Murray. I'll be wary of that 2000F max limit!

Bob

They make a wide variety of different kinds of stilts for ceramic kilns that would hold the pieces well. Some are all ceramic, some have wire tacks sticking up through them so there is only a few points to file off when glazing. Racks, ring holders, cradles.

If you do a google image search for kiln furniture and kiln stilts, you can get an idea of the variety. Most is really cheap.

As to the temperature range they will withstand, the temperatures for heat treating are small beans in the ceramic world. Most steels will burn off in high fire ceramics kilns.

Very interesting. What kind of temperatures do you use when firing ceramics?

Bob

I see that Paragon advertises in HSM magazine but looking at their website they don't seem to differentiate between kilns and heat treating furnaces.

Looks like you got a good deal Bob, enjoy it and keep us updated on how its working out for you.

Looks good. I would try to find some fire bricks to protect the bench top and the bottom of the furnace. If the furnace can hold the temperature so the parts can soak then it is a very good deal. The first shop I worked in they had a small propane heat treat furnace they used for small parts. Nothing that fancy.

Very interesting. What kind of temperatures do you use when firing ceramics?

Bob
Cone 6 that is used for most hobby ceramics is 2230F
Cone 10 that is used for porcelain and stoneware is up around 2400F

The cone designation is really little pyramid shaped cones. You usually put 3 cones that melt at really specific temperatures to tell the temperature that the kiln reached. If you are going for cone 6, you put a cone 5, cone 6, and cone 7 in the kiln and you can see that it got hot enough but not too hot by the cones.

Technically, cast iron melts at 2500F but without a reducing atmosphere (very low in free oxygen), it starts more rapid oxidation at around 1500F. This is what forms the scale on hot rolled steel. It is hard to get a reducing atmosphere with an electric heat source. Leave it too long at those temperatures and you will just have a pile of iron oxide. That is why you use tool wrap (thin stainless foil) to seal out oxygen for some types of steels.

Weird chemistry goes on at those temperatures and it doesn't get much weirder than the stuff that goes on with iron and carbon with and without oxygen. That weird chemistry is how we convert different types of iron and carbon mixtures into steels and cast iron and manipulate it's physical properties.

Another method to reduce oxidation of the work being heat treated is to pack it in a carbonaceous material; in the shop where I apprenticed 50 plus years ago, we had a nice temp controlled gas furnace, if you adjusted the atmosphere to be non scaling, it took too long to come up to temperature, so we packed the work in crushed peach pit charcoal in a stainless steel box that had a loosely fitting cover; we would let the furnace come up to temp with the work inside, then allow an hour per inch of crosssection for soaking, then fish the work out and quench, usually in oil (quenching oil) and then draw the temper in a temperature controlled salt bath, using a 50/50 mixture of sodium and potassium nitrate; this is the lowest melting salt mixture, it will remain pretty much in a liquid state down to about 250 - 275 degrees F and will go up to over 1,000 deg F. At 600 - 650 F, it will blue steel nicely; this is how the gun people do it. By varying the time in the bath, colors from light blue to black may be achieved in quite a short time, and the work needs no cleaning prior to bluing, unlike the preparations that are sold for gun bluing and are much less protective from rusting.
After using the peach pit charcoal for years, they ran out and were unable to find more, at that time the ended up using crushed coke, which seems to be a viable replacement. Many years after leaving the shop and starting my own machine shop, they ceased business, and I went there and bought the whole heat treating equiptment and supplies; I mainly wanted the supplies, and now able to do the bluing in my retirement shop at home.

I am wondering about using Argon injection to create an inert atmosphere in this little furnace. I have a TIG welder and 150 CF Argon bottle. I normally TIG weld with a 15 to 20 CFH flow rate. Would it be possible to use this setup with the furnace? There are no heating elements on the back wall of the furnace. Seems like I could drill a hole through the back, insert a pipe, and inject the Argon. Might this work? What would be an appropriate flow rate? Below is a picture of the injection kit Paragon sells for another one of their furnaces.

Bob

Paragon Furnace Gas Injection.jpg

Paragon Furnace Gas Injection.jpg

Back