Will a KBAC 27d vfd work for a PM932M PDF

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need a VFD for my CNC conversion mill so I can get rid of latest burnt up tread mill motor and replace with a 2 hp 3 phase motor and use the Hitachi 2hp VFD that is on my manual mill PM932. The Hitachi is working fine but all I’m doing with it is running the motor on the 932. I would like to put the Hitachi on the CNC and control it with Mach3/4. I would have a higher speed, more power and lot more reliable motor on the CNC. I’m taking a coarse in cad/cam at the Community Collage. So I can get better at running and drawing both for CNC and 3D printing. I have learned how to print OPP on my 3D printer and they are pretty good. I want to get better at the Mill. I’m currently upgrading he mill and fixing all the stuff I screwed up when crashing the mill repeatedly over the years.;(
CH.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are asking, the KBAC 27D is expensive and they are not as programmable or versatile compared to most other less expensive VFD's. They are useful for dedicated simple systems were you need a sealed enclosure. I tried a number of KB VFD drives early on and found them limiting and their performance was just OK. But these days I think there are better VFD's for less. If you need a NEMA 4/12 then I would look at the Teco E510 series they also come with a power disconnect switch version, if just a basic VFD for the mill than a L510.

I am not sure what you are asking, the KBAC 27D is expensive and they are not as programmable or versatile compared to most other less expensive VFD's. They are useful for dedicated simple systems were you need a sealed enclosure. I tried a number of KB VFD drives early on and found them limiting and their performance was just OK. But these days I think there are better VFD's for less. If you need a NEMA 4/12 then I would look at the Teco E510 series they also come with a power disconnect switch version, if just a basic VFD for the mill than a L510.
Hey Mark
I have a Hitachi on my manual mill, the only thing it does is supply power to the motor, it is a hand crank PM932. It is not belt driven, speeds are changed by the gear head. Some times a small increase or decrease in motor rpm. The Hitachi would be on the spindle 3ph motor on my CNC conversion mill. Right now it has a dc tread mill motor, which is dying, and a cobbled up dc controller card that came on the bench mill. Plus it can be controlled by Mach3 and the CNC computer. I don’t need a fancy VFD, and the good thing I already have the KBAC 27D it was given to me by a friend, so why buy another programmable VFD. The KB is much simpler and does not have to be programed. I just need 3ph power to a hobby mill, and I have it already.
Thanks
CH

Back