Wiha Allen Wrench Set Skips Sizes

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It's amazing how common it is to find out you're wrong about something you were sure you were right about.

Last week, I fixed a friend's gun. It's a Marlin Model 60. I had to modify a socket cap screw to fit his gun. I worked on it in my house, using some Allen wrenches I keep in the gun room, and then I had to go out to the shop to use a tap. I have lots of tools in the shop, so I saw no point in taking Allen wrenches. I knew I had three sets plus loose ones. I was sure I was covered.

I needed to turn the screw, so I reached for my Wiha Allen wrench set. Guess what? There was no 9/64" wrench. When you buy a set of Allen wrenches, you just assume they don't skip sizes.

I looked to see if there was some kind of companion set. No luck. And a full set of imperial Wihas costs over $40.

I decided to get a full set of metric and imperial Bondhus wrenches, in pretty colors. Paid about $32, so Bondhus wrenches are a much better bargain. The Bondhus imperial set included 13 sizes. My old Wiha set includes 8.

If you're like me, and you bought a set of wrenches without really thinking about skipped sizes, now you can learn from my error. An article at CNCCookbook.com says other Wiha sets skip sizes, so maybe it's best to avoid them.

My Bondhus metric set skips 7mm size. Very good set tho.

I have a HF T-handle set that skips 1/4".

I have a HF T-handle set that skips 1/4".
What?! That is crazy. One of the more popular sizes.

I too find that the Bondhus sets are my go-to choice. For smaller stuff, I have a set of PB Swiss that I love.

I found out about those goofy 64ths sizes quite a while ago, when you could still buy individual ones at the hardware store, before they forced you into buying a whole clamshell set.
I painted mine blue so I can easily locate them in the drawer- saves time and hunting around
-Mark

I've got this 36pc horrible freight wrench set, it seems to have every size I could ever need. Certainly not an amazing grade steel, but cheap enough that I don't feel bad about chopping one short to reach into a tight area, which I have to do sometimes working as a sewing machine tech.

Looks pretty complete (except for 7mm), good otherwise ... but I think I'd go slightly bonkers constantly searching for which "deck" a particular size of Allen wrench was on.

Just for grins and giggles, I searched Amazon for a 7mm Allen. Got two hits for Bondhus, one plain end, one ball end. Funny thing though, the photos show 4mm and 6mm, not 7mm! Gotta wonder ...
In addition, BOTH listings have a warning about small magnets. WHAAAAAT???? I've bought and used innumerable Bondhus Allen wrenches, as well as lots of other brands. NEVER ran into a magnet of any kind with any of them (unless the wrench itself got slightly magnetized).
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 6.15.41 PM.jpg

when I bought my SB9 in the mid 80s it had a 6” Craftsman/Atlas 4 jaw chuck on it.
The chuck key is a 7mm Allan key with handle.
I had lots of Allen wrench’s, but no 7mm, i actually had never seen one before.
When adjusting a 4jaw I like to use 2 keys, opposite each other so I ground a larger one to fit.
Recently I went to a pawn shop with calipers, dug around in a box of about 200 loose old Allan wrench’s & found two 7mm. Bingo.
A good place to find them.

when I bought my SB9 in the mid 80s it had a 6” Craftsman/Atlas 4 jaw chuck on it.
The chuck key is a 7mm Allan key with handle.
I had lots of Allen wrench’s, but no 7mm, i actually had never seen one before.
When adjusting a 4jaw I like to use 2 keys, opposite each other so I ground a larger one to fit.
Recently I went to a pawn shop with calipers, dug around in a box of about 200 loose old Allan wrench’s & found two 7mm. Bingo.
A good place to find them.
We do not have pawn shops.
Some sort of stupid Blue Law stuff.....

Back