WiFi signal booster for shed work shop.

first full disclosure. I work for Dell. I was going to suggest you look at Dell Refirb system for good deals but there is no way you will get even a Refirb with those specs for around $200. Good luck
Thanks anyway and also for you wifi help.

Fairly common question. Check out these possible solutions.

It is highly unlikely you are going to get 16g ram and a ssd drive machine for $200

Hi John,

As a retired IT programmer I sure do miss having some tech people around to help steer me in the right direction for PC purchases. Or maybe what to stay away from. So if you are up to it what brand/model of small form PC could you recommend for my non-climate controlled shed/shop for internet access, no gaming or intense video card requirements, and 256GD SSD is all I need if that much. Basically something along the below requirements and around $200.
16GB DDR4 Ram
256GB Solid State SSD
WIFI
VGA/HDMI
USB 3.0
Win 10

Thanks,
Harry

Hi Harry,

I've had good luck with refurbished systems from NewEgg

At your price point there's really nothing new worth buying but off-lease corporate machines from Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. still have lots of life in them. I'm using a refurbished system from them now that I've had for maybe 4 years.

This is the one I recently bought for my CNC machine.

I upgraded the RAM and SDD with parts I already had and obviously didn't need to buy a monitor. But yeah, your budget might need to go up a bit....

John

I bought a Lenovo Mini M73 for $200 but had the 128 SSD in house. It sits in my observatory in the backyard to control telescope and cameras.

There all sorts of refrubs in different configurations at a whole range of pricing. From auction sites to major store sites.

Last edited:
There all sorts of refrubs in different configurations at a whole range of pricing. From auction sites to major store sites.
Yep I'm looking at refurbs as there are some good deals and my needs are very basic, internet research, youtube machining videos, pandora music.
I'm currently researching the Beelink line of mini PC (https://www.amazon.com/stores/Beelink/page/E76F7A4A-070E-428C-9129-832B18C1493F?ref_=ast_bln) and I probably will take a gamble on one of the lower end ones as my shed pc time will only be a few hours each morning and afternoon and probable 99% of the time playing pandora.

What about a smart TV? I realize internet research isn't as easy but....
You could get a 50" TCL (which I feel are quite good) for about what you want to spend.

That's easy for that price.
I have a Dell XPS13 running Linux out in the shop. It's been there since Turkey Week.
Only 8GB of RAM though. . .
It's a hand-me-down from my Son. :cool 2:
Funny how that works out, (20) years ago he was getting my graphics workstation(s) hand-me-downs for gaming.
Now it's reversed. . .

I put the following extender in the garage. Garage is detached from the house by ~12', location from the laptop to Asus router was less than 25', and yet I had poor connections -too much metal.
Had 5x5 when I put it in last fall. then this spring the signal dropped. I have it stung up in the corner closest to the house so this spring I started leaving the side door open, well it's metal clad and the extender is blocked by it. -DUH.

I should have, in hindsight, strung CAT6 when I put in Honey's spa and ran a new feed to the shop sub-panel. Double -DUH :bang head:

Hi John,

As a retired IT programmer I sure do miss having some tech people around to help steer me in the right direction for PC purchases. Or maybe what to stay away from. So if you are up to it what brand/model of small form PC could you recommend for my non-climate controlled shed/shop for internet access, no gaming or intense video card requirements, and 256GD SSD is all I need if that much. Basically something along the below requirements and around $200.
16GB DDR4 Ram
256GB Solid State SSD
WIFI
VGA/HDMI
USB 3.0
Win 10

Thanks,
Harry

Back