Wiedemann R-2 Turret Punch

Ed T

Active User
Registered
I am in the final stages of restoring a Wiedemann turret punch (see attached) and, while it's a pretty simple device, I would love to find some kind of manual for it. I would especially like to know the set up procedure for getting the punches and dies aligned. I can do it, but it's tedious. The punch came without several of the punches and I am in the middle of making some new ones. One thought I have for the smaller sizes is to make adapters that would allow the use of Roper Whitney style screw in punches and dies. This is simpler than making the complete punch and die set and cost-wise it's pretty friendly. It would also allow punching some hole sizes that are not part of the standard Wiedemann offering. So, if anyone has any info or tips on this machine I would gladly pay for copies or whatever.

DSCF0300.JPG

Never seen one nor a manual but...

That is the coolest thing I've seen today!

Hi Ed,

Sorry that I cannot help with a manual, but I just had to say boy that's clean and beautiful....nice job!
What paint is that?

thanks,
-brino

Thanks for the positive feedback. The paint is good old Rustoleum smoke gray. Some rattle can and some spray gun. I used to use their dark machinery gray, but it seems to be fading in availability. Smoke gray seems to be readily available in both spray cans and quarts so I am moving in that direction. I have tried on two occasions to have the machinery gray matched by other companies with pretty dismal results. So right now, the stuff in my shop is "50 Shades of Gray".
AFA the manuals go, I gotta believe somebody out there has something. I think they made these machines for over 40 years. I have tried contacting the manufacturer's Tech line w/o response. Of course the original company name still exists in the punch press world, but it has been bought and sold and consolidated several times so the records on the really old stuff may be lost. There are still a couple of companies making tooling that purports to be for these machines, but the dimensions on the punches seem to be too short for mine. So, I'll make some of the larger punches and dies. It should be fairly "straightforward" said he who has not done it yet. It's a pretty simple machine, so the manual is a nice to have, but not a gotta have.
Thanks again,
Ed Taylor

Back