Wicks, string wicks, spindle oils wicks.

DustyDay

Registered
Registered
hi guys
Being that i finally got my spindle apart i want to replace all, not just some but all of the wicks in the proper place. I ordered the wick kit, i'm too stingy to spring for the (manual). It doesn't look complicated but a little knowledge goes a long way in doing the job right. I have watched a lot if utube in hopes of finding out the proper procedure for replacing all of the wicks not just the pump wicks in the head stock and no one is replacing all of the string wicks in the spindle and head stock.
I want to do this right i need some help on the proper placement if the string wicks.
As usual any help would be appreciated
Dusty

I very much doubt there's anything more technical than set the wicks dripping oil where it's wanted. Adjust how much by how much/many wick give each point. Oil is cheap and metal expensive.

I very much doubt there's anything more technical than set the wicks dripping oil where it's wanted. Adjust how much by how much/many wick give each point. Oil is cheap and metal expensive.
thank you

The manual shows location of all wicks. Some are kinda hard to find. Be sure to clean all the oil feed holes.

I cleaned everything including the oil holes. I dont have a manual. I searched utube and couldn’t find anything related to where to but the wicks.
I put the felt wicks everywhere that i though a wick should go, any suggestions of a source for a manual. i have downloaded a few but none of them mention where to put the felt wicks.
Thank you
Dusty

I cleaned all of the oils holes and channels by looking at the oil kit i figured out where to put the wicks, i think. I don't have a manual. seems like o rings would work to but finding a source may be an issue. Any comments on where to source a manual for a 9c X 48? there is plenty of utub videos on taking the spindle in and out but nothing on oil wick placement.
Thank you
Dusty

The guy that sells the wick kits on eb out of Durham NC has the manual.

thank you for the information ill get on eb and order one.
Dusty

I ordered the wick kit, i'm too stingy to spring for the (manual).

That's pretty much a fool's economy. However, since you say that you have a 9C, there is no gear box or complicated apron wicking placement on your lathe. But the manual has much more than just the wicking placement - it also has the proper disassembly procedures, which is more than worth the price of admission.

Hi SLK001,
I did come to my senses and purchase the manual and i agree it is worth the money no doubt about it.
Thank You
Dusty

Back