Wick Material???

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I have an Atlas and a 10" SB(not mine) that I am restoring and for another person and I need the felt or wick material for the wipers,I guess inside the oilers and the spindle bushings.Does it come in different sizes or a flat sheet that you cut yourself,not really knowing what to ask for or where to get it?If you could provide alittle info or maybe a link to where you purchase yours.Thanks have a wonderful day---kroll

In a previous thread Richard King stated that ordinary pipe cleaners work well as wicks

As for the wipers I'd just go to a local fabric store and ask for some felt Find one with the most suitable thickness and ask if they have any scraps. They'll likely just give them to you.

we simply use local hardware felts probably for windows. about half inch wide works well .

I like fairly hard white felt; look in Mc Master Carr's catalog to see what is available; they have everything that one could imagine.

For wipers white F1 (pure wool) felt wears the best. Other grades of felt have polyester content which works but doesn't wear as well. I second the recommendation of McMaster Carr as a source. If they don't have the thickness you need, it's easier to build up several thin layers rather than to slice a thicker piece.

When it comes to felt, I asked my wife whom sews a lot. She told me to be careful with the felt that one gets a fabric store. Much of the cheaper felt is made by scrapings. I recommend McMasters Carr . Or, if you know a piano tuner (which I am) ask him to sell you some felt. That's what I used for a wick. Mark

The oilers for an atlas lathe are $1.00 each from Clausing. Plus $10 shipping... I recently ordered a number of parts from them, and bought 12 of them in the process. I had forgotten to inquire about the wicks in the headstock oil cups though. I'll do that next time I need something.

Terry

Guys thanks for responding,I have purchase items from McMaster and from Clausing never gave either a thought---Tks kroll

Go to Wal-Mart (or any hardware store) and pick up some of the round, felt feet that go on the bottoms of furniture that prevents them from scratching the floor when you move the furniture around. Cut to fit, works perfect, and 8 silver dollar sized pads cost 4.50...

Back