Why White ??

I'm also a fan of gray, Rustoleum Smoke Gray is what I painted my mill stand. The white I don't mind so much but I'm not a fan of PM blue. At least it's just my lathe stand that is the PM blue & not the whole lathe.

Aside from blue, there's red machines, & yellow machines, that I don't understand. I don't mind green on old iron but I'm not a fan of Grizzy green either. I'll take white any day over those colors if I had no other choice.

Not a fan of white, but there's a pragmatic reason for its use. Think how easy it is to find and fix hydraulic or other fluid leaks--the thought process is that making maintenance needs highly visible makes them hard to ignore.

IMO, any bright color would accomplish the same purpose.

That is one nice looking mill. Not hidden in a 'splash shield' either.
No automatic tool changer either, as I understand it a machine that will do an automatic tool change must be fully guarded, a 50 year old automatic machine does not require this, I could be wrong however.

That's nothing. A shop I worked at up 'till 98 built a huge new addition to move all it's CMC machines into...and painted the floors white. It was real pretty. For a while.

Speaking of colorful machines, why not custom paint accessories too (and even screws)? :eek:

Looking at the color, I now know all the items this person is selling on CL. I guess the person had extra paint & decided to make this one look purdy! Haha, never seen that before!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/6163975916.html

00Y0Y_lhkMpkTMhZ6_600x450.jpg

Taste is in the eyes of the beholder. Whatever floats your boat...

Bob, I was just trying to answer the OP's question: that there may be a perception that light colors are more "modern" than the older colors. I like the older colors as well. Gray, and on the
vintage lathes, black look good to me. I wasn't taking a stab at you.

Last edited:
A friend once asked what color he should paint his racecar engine. He was leaning toward black. I said a bright color makes leaks more visible. He went with yellow. Guess it really depends on your needs. I like old machine colors myself. But black might be best for some.

Bob, I was just trying to answer the OP's question: that there may be a perception that light colors are more "modern" than the older colors. I like the older colors as well. Gray, and on the
No stab felt. My comment was just to say that taste is subjective, it is what it is. It was just a general comment, nothing directed at you.

Yes, black looks perfect on the really old lathes.

Back