Why White ??

Speaking of colorful machines, why not custom paint accessories too (and even screws)? :eek:

Looking at the color, I now know all the items this person is selling on CL. I guess the person had extra paint & decided to make this one look purdy! Haha, never seen that before!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/6163975916.html

00Y0Y_lhkMpkTMhZ6_600x450.jpg

Imagine his car.

I haven't had the machine equipment long enough to form an opinion. My preferred color for outdoor equipment, lawn mowers to automobiles, is pine pollen yellow.

I haven't had the machine equipment long enough to form an opinion. My preferred color for outdoor equipment, lawn mowers to automobiles, is pine pollen yellow.

mine are pretty much, pine pollen yellow, regardless what color the manufacturer originally painted them.

You all know about the insides of castings, gearboxes etc, usually painted with red oxide to seal in any remaining moulding sand and porosity. On odd occasions I have come across white pianted ones, and they are MUCH easier on the eyes to work on!

Speaking of colorful machines, why not custom paint accessories too (and even screws)? :eek:

Looking at the color, I now know all the items this person is selling on CL. I guess the person had extra paint & decided to make this one look purdy! Haha, never seen that before!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/6163975916.html

00Y0Y_lhkMpkTMhZ6_600x450.jpg
All purdy lookin' but I use those machined surfaces when mounting work. Calls the chuck self centering as well. The seller apparently knows nothing about machining. He must have got a deal on some blue paint as quite a few of his items have that feature, including painting the working surface of the RT he is offering.

Yeah, Oak pollen green in the spring for us is the color of everything. My Van Norman is white down in the sump. Sure does help to see inside.

Colour is in the eye of the beholder, I think for machine tools white is a bit naff, after a few years of machining given oil spills andcast iron dust +paint chips, they look dated a lot quicker so saying I do not think that as regards machine tool cleanliness folks nowadays bestow the same level of care upon their machines, Unless some of the big prosperous mass production firms where dedicated teams of cleaners are always beavering away.
I tend to be of a conserative nature I think a shop with rows of white machinery looks very sterile and cold, not a welcoming colour, I would think pure virginal white could very well lead to a migrane. In past days some of the big engine building shops over in Scotland used to paint their big machine tools a mustard yellow colour with cast lettering picked out in red, It looked warm and gave the works a nice light reflection without being too harsh. One of these old shops I had the privelidge of re-visitng some years back had painted all their heavy machine tools a dark blue, I thought it made the shop look dark and lifeless. Grey is a common colour for machine tools over here which is smart, and seems to keep a good appearance for a long time Also is a nice light machine tool green very nice & uplifting to the soul,
Nowadays in this Fab , Brilliant & Funky age, what is missing is an old Bull of The Woods type of foreman who kept his shop spotless and cared for the machine tools under his watch, Everyone was instilled with an ethos of shop care, cleanliness and discipline.

In my own home shop I tend to leave the colours of the machines " As Original" Unless the paint looks really tatty , then I fill in the dings & dents & repaint them, , Most of my machines are Battleship Grey except my Myford which is a nice machine tool green , My workbench iron work, i painted light blue , I like the place to be smart , Then again where i am concerned Colour is Life,
I forgot my oldest lathe is black, Then again that was its original paint job.

I have two white machines, a mill and a table saw.
IMG_9408.jpg
White Machines Matter.

I painted my Workbench Beryl Green,
My Grizzly Band saw is a cream white and dark Green , but my favorite colors is Gray & Green

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

Back