[Newbie] Why Not Use The 3 Jaw Chuck To Hold Collets?

Seems to me that if that was a good idea, nobody would buy or sell collet holders.

Tom
What are the advantages of using a collet system in a lathe? Number 1 is Speed when changing parts, #2 would be simplicity as virtually anyone can be trained to operate it, Three is that an operator can't possibly hold the wrong end if the diameters are wildly different, 4 chip and coolant control as a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck will turn into a paddlewheel and vaporize coolant and grab chips in a most unpleasant fashion.

I am not saying that a collett system is bad merely that it is a production system that is not well suited to hobby type general lathe work. Also just being a collet chuck does not mean that it will not run out.

Putting say a 5C collet in a 3 jaw chuck will gain you very little return, however if that is the only way that the parts may be held then have at it, you will not injure the hard chuck jaws but may well bugger a collett or three.

Last edited:
If you insist on using 5C collets in the 3-jaw, get you a set of collet blocks made to hold 5C collets. They work nice in a 6" or larger 3-jaw chuck. Maybe too large for a 7 x 10 mini lathe, though. They are also handy for use in a mill for cutting flats or drilling holes on small parts and such, too.

I want to use some collets in my HF 7x10 lathe. Why can't I just hold the collets in the 3 jaw chuck and forgo the expense of a collet holder?

Steve
Seems to me that if that was a good idea, nobody would buy or sell collet holders.

Tom
What are the advantages of using a collet system in a lathe? Number 1 is Speed when changing parts, #2 would be simplicity as virtually anyone can be trained to operate it, Three is that an operator can't possibly hold the wrong end if the diameters are wildly different, 4 chip and coolant control as a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck will turn into a paddlewheel and vaporize coolant and grab chips in a most unpleasant fashion.

I am not saying that a collett system is bad merely that it is a production system that is not well suited to hobby type general lathe work. Also just being a collet chuck does not mean that it will not run out.

Putting say a 5C collet in a 3 jaw chuck will gain you very little return, however if that is the only way that the parts may be held then have at it, you will not injure the hard chuck jaws but may well bugger a collett or three.

I’m not sure how what he said and what I said and what you said relate, but sometimes I’m a little bit dense. Maybe I’m misreading your post.

Regardless, I don’t see why you say a collett system isn’t well suited for hobby type work. I enjoy the dickens out of using my ER32 collets (in a collet chuck) for hobby type work on my bench lathe. Why do you think they aren’t well suited for such use? Thanks.

Tom

If ER 32 collet system is your cup of tea, by all means use it. I use an ER 40 system in my 9X20 and like you I luv it. For other work I use my 4 jaw. The 3 jaw hasn't been used in years.

"Billy G"

If you insist on using 5C collets in the 3-jaw, get you a set of collet blocks made to hold 5C collets. They work nice in a 6" or larger 3-jaw chuck. Maybe too large for a 7 x 10 mini lathe, though. They are also handy for use in a mill for cutting flats or drilling holes on small parts and such, too.

I just did this today to hold a 7/16-UNF bolt so I could face off the head. Held the bolt and didn't mar the threads.

I’m not sure how what he said and what I said and what you said relate, but sometimes I’m a little bit dense. Maybe I’m misreading your post.

Regardless, I don’t see why you say a collett system isn’t well suited for hobby type work. I enjoy the dickens out of using my ER32 collets (in a collet chuck) for hobby type work on my bench lathe. Why do you think they aren’t well suited for such use? Thanks.

Tom
I meant that they lack versatility for general one off part lathe work hobbyist or not, do two or three 1 1/2" OD parts in a collet chuck, the next thing that you want to do needs to be held by a 4" bore, now you have to change the chuck, you know the drill I'm sure. You don't actually save a great deal of time with the collet chuck over a scroll chuck when making 3 or 30 parts.

Don't get me wrong, I love collet systems with a lever closer as no chuck key is involved. I made 68 parts in a Hardinge turret lathe this morning, insert part, close collet and drill/tap, open collet and remove, done! The lever operates with a flick of the wrist, we also have a Warner & Swasey turret lathe that has collets that look like they go up to 2 1/2-3" that are operated by a hydraulic cylinder, I have never used the collet feature on this machine only a scroll chuck but could see that that it would take most of a work day to make the change.

As a side note the W&S system uses push out collets, the taper is on the working end which is pushed into a mating internaly tapered cap in the direction away from the head stock so do not require threads.

Tom
I guess a collet system would be considered "advanced hobbyist" since it's often one of the later purchases, when one starts realizing the limitations of 3 and 4 jaw chucks. My 2 cents.
Mark S.

I guess a collet system would be considered "advanced hobbyist" since it's often one of the later purchases, when one starts realizing the limitations of 3 and 4 jaw chucks. My 2 cents.
Mark S.
Also after you've had your lathe for a while your friends and family know what to get you for christmas:)

Imo, the real benefit of collets for the hobbyist, is that it allows you to work on soft or precision parts without messing up the surface finish. If you have a set of collet blocks for the mill, it also lets you start making some really interesting stuff.

Back