Why no ER20 collet blocks

A simplified approach to a DIY collet block is to use one of these.

Bore a suitable hole through Your square or hex block and fix the collet chuck with a set screw.

I think the er20 is most commonly used to hold tooling, less for holding parts. Therefore no collet blocks.
Size does matter.

I bought a set of er20's for my Maximat 7 lathe/mill. along with a MT2/ER20 collet chuck.. 1/2" max size seemed as the right complement to it.
Then I see a "collet block".. and thought, that might be handy.. but no one makes one.
I did the same for my Prazi mini mill.

I figured the ER20s only going up to 1/2” would keep me and future owners of this mill out of trouble s as 1/2” in the max recommended end mill size for this.

Then I wanted a plain back ER20 collet chuck and was SOL.

I did find a router chuck with a boss on the back though and this is on my someday list to turn y to he boss off and mount it to the spindle.

I think the er20 is most commonly used to hold tooling, less for holding parts. Therefore no collet blocks.
Size does matter.
My Tormach CNC uses the TTS ER20 tooling system. I use it almost exclusively for tool holding. With a 13mm capacity, it isn't too useful for work holding and I have a 5C chuck for my lathe so there isn't a need to use it there. I also have two RT's so if I need to cut a square or hex on some round stock, I can take that approach rather than using a collet block.

I have ER32 collet block in square and hex and I find Ive used it on the lathes to hold small parts , threaded bolts etc . I think RJSakowski link would be a wonderful addition , like it is you could make a square and hex to slip on the shaft a set screw could hold them on , the stright shaft could slip in a 3 jaw or a four jaw and indicated in ( which I do for precision work ) for the price its worth it even if it’s only used a few times

My solution - I have 1/2" shank holders for my smaller ER collet sets. I can then use really common 1/2 collet stuff to hold that. It's not perfect but gives me a lot more range of (small) stuff I can hold in my Deckel and 5c collet blocks.

Back