Why is this 6-32 tap not a 6-32 tap?

I rarely throw out a tap. Some of the cheap ones I will grind down for a bottoming tap on occasion, or if really trashed or broken, a cutting tool. Mike

Again late to the party, this is getting old. . . I apologize if I missed a point. I did read the first page, but it was a scan, an overview. I didn't read closely.

There are a few possibilities, the first that comes to mind is a tap for an insert like Heli-Coil. A 6-32 HeliCoil sounds silly, but I have seen such an animal in the mills.

Another possibility is an M3.5 tap, which is the same size. I don't recall the pitch, but it is an exact replacement for 6-32. I recently purchased one, although I haven't used it. It is marked on the shaft as M3.5. I acquired it as part of my small metric taps, completely forgetting that 3.5mm is 0.138 inches, which is the same as a Nr 6 screw.

In any case, if it were mine, I would identify it as "non standard" and hang on to it. A use might show up out of the blue one day.

Measure it. Figure out what it is. Maybe you can use it. Otherwise send it back to MSC.

There are a few possibilities, the first that comes to mind is a tap for an insert like Heli-Coil. A 6-32 HeliCoil sounds silly, but I have seen such an animal in the mills.

While a 6-32 Heli_Coil may sound silly. I have installed a Lot of 4-40 Heli-Coils and specified down to 2-56. Military equipment does not allow aluminum threaded holes. All AL parts with threaded holes must have inserts in in the hole.

I would just get a small pack of 6-32 inserts to go with that tap and you will then be prepaired for the day you strip a 6-32 hole or need a bit of extra thread strength.

thank you for the info, now i know what happened to me.
i ordered a 12-24 tap from Amazon, no STI in the description.
now i looked it up in the Morse site, there the description says STI.
tap is marked STI as is the tap box.
thanks, Marv

Last edited:
Where I'm from back east it is pronounced bah-stid thread or if you are a bit less east, bass-tid thread might fit in better. Hope this is helpful.
Oui, but in France they say bah-stard, ho ho.

Back