Why induction heat bolts?

@Jim F, @Jake M and @tweinke

Since you have seen and/or used an induction heater meant for mechanics use, can you recommend a brand name if someone with a home shop wanted to add one to the tool arsenal?
Are there any that won't break the bank, but are worth getting?

Thanks!
Brian

Since you have seen and/or used an induction heater meant for mechanics use, can you recommend a brand name if someone with a home shop wanted to add one to the tool arsenal?

Thanks!
Brian
I got mine from a MAC truck, MINI-DUCTOR, was a few hundred $.
Mine was bought in early to mid 2000's........

Last edited:
Interesting. My wife's hairdryer has more power than the knockoff version.

Made in USA, $650, 1800 watts

Amazon special, all china all the time $247, 500-900 chinawatts

I use a Mini Ductor that is quite old. You can't buy it.

The one you're looking at to closest match mine (in that brand, if you so choose) Is the Mini Ductor II, Model MD-700. Just as close as you're going to get to the one I use.

I can't say first hand, but I know folks who use this blatant knockoff and feel that it does a pretty good job. (The electric principals that create the black magic are fundimantal laws of physics.... I suspect that if it actually runs at the wattage they claim, it's probably gonna do what it says...

If you take the brand/model you can seek out a less expensive option of the same thing, but there are less coils included. I think (memory only, take it with a grain of salt), I think it was 25 bucks cheaper but came with three coils instead of eight. That makes the "more coils" one that showed up in my quick search a better value. These coils aren't cheap. (And you WILL damage a couple as you feel out what the tool does...).

These coils can be made at home. They're bare copper wire and a high temperature sleeve, retained with a dual wall (epoxy lined) heat shrink tube. It has been done. Not by me, but the stuff to do it IS out there, if you want to take that on. You end up with an insanely large roll of the sleeve material. Comically large for what you're doing, but if you end up using this a bunch, (And you're not doing production work where time is money and it makes better sense to just buy coils), some folks who have done the legwork and the math say it works out. I can't give advice on that aspect, other than to put it out there that the option is available "somewhere" if you care to pursue it.

I use a Mini Ductor that is quite old. You can't buy it.

The one you're looking at to closest match mine (in that brand, if you so choose) Is the Mini Ductor II, Model MD-700. Just as close as you're going to get to the one I use.

I can't say first hand, but I know folks who use this blatant knockoff and feel that it does a pretty good job. (The electric principals that create the black magic are fundimantal laws of physics.... I suspect that if it actually runs at the wattage they claim, it's probably gonna do what it says...

If you take the brand/model you can seek out a less expensive option of the same thing, but there are less coils included. I think (memory only, take it with a grain of salt), I think it was 25 bucks cheaper but came with three coils instead of eight. That makes the "more coils" one that showed up in my quick search a better value. These coils aren't cheap. (And you WILL damage a couple as you feel out what the tool does...).

These coils can be made at home. They're bare copper wire and a high temperature sleeve, retained with a dual wall (epoxy lined) heat shrink tube. It has been done. Not by me, but the stuff to do it IS out there, if you want to take that on. You end up with an insanely large roll of the sleeve material. Comically large for what you're doing, but if you end up using this a bunch, (And you're not doing production work where time is money and it makes better sense to just buy coils), some folks who have done the legwork and the math say it works out. I can't give advice on that aspect, other than to put it out there that the option is available "somewhere" if you care to pursue it.
Is it the round tube one ?
This the one I had.

Last edited:
Back