Why are many used lathes without tooling?

Thanks for the responses. I am still confused if tooling is routinely sold separately why do I never see sets advertised for particular makes models? Is that knowledge (what fits what) something only experienced machinists know? I do get the feeling that used lathes that run tend to cluster around $2K-$4K without tooling. Perhaps that is the "retail" pricepoint of $19.99? US machinery decades old and used asian pop up for $2500 a lot. Many older asian lathes with tooling are advertised at about half the new model equivalent. The over riding fear for the noob (me) seems greatest for real old US machines (wear, available-affordablel parts) , but also applies to total unavailability of older asian parts?Mysteries to be sorted out over time.

I suspect tooling is sold separate piece by piece... rather than a package for a machine.
Again, best return on investment... especially if one bought an auction lot and is just trying to get the best bang for it.

If it were me... I would tell myself to be ready to shop for months and months... and not get excited about any one deal... until after I had seen it and determined it was a screaming deal.

Better IMO to shop another day... than to pay too much.

Now the other alternative... is to get a Chinese or Taiwanese machine... and be done with it.

Most of the Bridgeport clones are very similar... some creative research could probably yield a suitable part you needed.
On the lathes... I suspect there are a couple of classes one could get into... where there are lots of similar units on the market.

I think there are likely other like myself who upgraded equipment. I went from a 3 in 1 to separate machines. As said, the tooling is expensive and most was transferable. The party's that could not be transfered were sold with the machine.

I am a noob as well who bought a Chinese mill (PM25) and have spent about half the purchase price so far getting tooled up. I am in AZ and all the used equipment listed for sale is $$$. I got a call from a friend about a complete shop, large Bridgeport clone,lathe, tooling, full wood shop etc. that her customer got with a home they purchased. I am meeting them next week and hope to buy the whole lot, sell off what I don't need/want and get all the rest of my tooling and a lathe for free. Spread the word to your friends that you are in the market and see what pops up. I know another guy who did this and ended up with a BP clone CNC for free out of the deal. In fact he is up because he upgraded the controller box and sold the old one for major $$$. I have also met a retired machinists who is selling me his good tooling for $.25 on the dollar because he want to help out a new guy. He has even come over to my house to help me learn how to use my new mill. My advice is to be patient and look at Craig's list every day. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, can go both ways. Sometimes folks try to nickle and dime every bit, but sometimes folks will be selling a decent package.

In my case, the SB 15" I'm selling has the basics (chucks, tool post, tailstock drill chuck) but not any bits or other parts I can use on my newer lathe that's replacing it. I've even gone back and forth on selling the 4 jaw chuck since I have half an idea to use it on a rotary table.... For me I want to have enough hardware with it to be reasonable useful, but at the same time I'm asking $750 for the machine.... whether it has the 4 jaw chuck or not probably woln't make much difference in what I get for it, but if I have to buy another chuck or sell that one separately it's $1-200.

I think for house clearence or similar sellers their can be an issue with telling gauge blocks from scrap steel and such.

To be fair theirs a lot of engenearing tooling that just looks like a random block of metal to the un initiated , if you asked people how much a pile of dirty oily little bits of metle were worth thats what a lot of people will see as aposed to a bucket with a lifetime supply of HSS tool blanks.

Stuart

In my earlier post I tried, without too much success on how to negotiate for your equipment. If the tooling is there, try to get it thrown into the deal, if no tooling is available, you really need to consider the price. Don't be afraid to walk away; do it with a smile so that you can come back if necessary.

It took me 6 or 7 months to find my lathe, only went to look at one other. The mill took years, but I was willing to wait for the one that I wanted at MY price.
BTW if you come across a Wells-Index or Index mill, they are really good mills (I like them better than Bridgeports). Still in business and if the quill has an old style taper they will regrind it to a more modern one for only a few hundred dollars.

Back to your question on accessories. Lathes have a half dozen or so standard spindle mounting styles. Your South Bend's and Asian clones will have readily available backplates/chucks.

If you are in the market for a chuck they can be purchased with or without the backplate that you need.
The tool posts are sized for the size of the lathe, so don’t be too concerned if you need to purchase a QCTP (quick change tool post) other than spending the $$’s that is.

The mill is a little different, many mills have a R-8 spindle taper and your tooling will need to be R-8, most bridgeports and clones as will as HF mini mills take R-8 tooling. Older and or bigger industrial machines may take nmtb 30, nmtb 40, nmtb 50 spindle tooling (nmtb=national machine tool builders). You should avoid a mill if the spindle has a different taper than one of these, unless it is an Index and you want to have it re-bored.

I hope that this answered some of your questions,

Mike

Once again folks, thanks. By osmosis and constantly surfing I will finally have a clearer picture. One thing is evident. Some sellers can not mask when they rattle can their lathes Today on ebay is displayed a lathe which looks good in the pic, but the gears have grey paint in the teeth.:))

Maybe the seller keeps the tooling for thier new, bigger lathe.

If I ever get a bigger lathe you can bet your Bippy that I will keep all of my tooling.

Chris

frustrating, right? Buy a $850 SB9A lathe then spend $1k on tooling when chinese lathes new sell for 1.6k with the tooling new (and with hardened beds and non-threaded spindle). I'm happy with my 9A but knowing now what I know I might have not done what I did.

The sellers really make a killing on parting stuff out.

Back