Who’s older; You or your lathe?

Just a fun type of topic that came to me today thinking about when my Atlas was built.

It’s got a good 13 years on me.

Which I guess means it should have more experience than I do, so why don’t my projects come out better? Seems like its not holding up its side of our relationship!

:congratulate:

How about you?

:)
It is not polite to ask a man how old his lathe is.

My lathe has 32 years on me and I'm 70 ;)

I was born in 1956. Robert (HM moderator) estimates my lathe at 1954.

I bought a new Taiwan lathe. After I bought a Clausing that was about my age. I learned some lessons about "old iron."

First of all, it's not really better than Taiwan iron. Not unless you get something crazy like an old Monarch. Second, parts are insanely expensive and hard to find, and if you want to do metric, you are going to have to wait years for the things you need, and then you'll have to disassemble and reassemble the lathe when you use them. Third, there are a lot of shady and obnoxious machine dealers, and many will lie to get your business. I bought my first lathe from Joe Bergamo at Plaza Machinery, and he cheated me like you would not believe. No shame at all. Sold me a worn-out machine and said it had very little use. Sold me the wrong model after lying about the model number. Refused to take it back unless I paid half the freight. He also sold me micrometers that couldn't be used because of solidified lube, and he never made it right. And he was a real jerk about everything.

Here's a tip from a guy who got burned: if you insist on buying used machinery online, ALWAYS use a credit card. Bergamo insisted on cash, checks, and money orders, and there was a reason for it. He knew it made it easier to cheat people. A credit card company may go to bat for you. If you pay with cash or a check, you have to sue. People I thought had brains assured me Bergamo was the salt of the earth, but honest people don't insist on cash and checks.

My Taiwan lathe was about $13K, brand new. It had a VFD, a coolant system, tons of metric and inch threads, a 7.5-horse motor, a QCTP, a work light, a 2.25 bore, a D1-6 spindle, a gap, hardened ways, a lube system, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. I bought it from Eisen Machinery, and I recommend them highly. Zero problems with the machine or dealer. They even gave me a huge discount, and I mean a real discount, not a fake discount from a markup. Other people were paying $3000 more for the same lathe. If I had to get a new machine today, I would start with Eisen before considering anyone else.

I know a lot of people can't come up with $13K for a hobby tool, but when I got my lathe, there were very nice 12" through 14" Taiwan lathes that cost about what you would pay for a piece of worn-out American junk plus tooling. Even Chinese is better than junk that quit working accurately during the Truman administration.

I was cast in '67
My Sebastian in '41.

Both of us are still as strong as an ox, and some claim as dumb as a rock.

I am of the 1962 vintage

My wards lathe is 1943 and my South Bend 9 is from 1947. All 3 are in fine working order.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Last edited:
in order
haas tl1 2013
monarch 10EE 1971
hardinge DSM59 1970
me 1967
south bend 13 1958
monarch series 60 1949

I am a 1958 model, my South Bend YC 9x46 is a '29, 2 Craftsman 6x18, a Webster Whitcomb watch makers lathe from the '40s, a drill press from the early 1900's a UND 6x30 lathe very early 1900's and a 1942 Burke no. 3 horizontal bench top mill.

My Logan 820 is from 1944. And I'm from 1948.
Here are:
1) the lathe when I took possession in 2013, before restoration
2) after I finished its 1+ year restoration

Attachments

• Logan 820 comes home.jpg
    Logan 820 comes home.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 11
  • greg reassembles lathe.jpg
    greg reassembles lathe.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 11
The SB 14-1/2”x6’ with my name on it is a few years older than me.

My Peerless watchmaker’s lathe is probably about my age, but it’s hard to be sure.

Rick “‘mid-century’ is the term used by hipsters” Denney

Back