Who's got white machinery?

I think white is a terrible color to paint a metal working machine. I bought a white lathe for my shop at work. It was impossible to keep decent looking as oil stained the paint,and every bit of crud showed up worse than on any other color. I am just too old and creaky to sterilize a machine every time I use it. Maybe there are oil proof white paints available (?),but mine didn't have it!!

When I was teaching for the Army at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD, they replaced all 24 machines in the intermediate lathe section. The machines came in gray, and were immediately stripped down and painted what amounts to Federal Safety Green. I asked the head maint. guy why, and he said because it is the easiest color on your eyes to look at.
Personally, I like it. My 2 cts.
Larry

I like machines painted white. I think it keeps things brighter around the machine.. and when they're clean they look great..

I like machines painted white. I think it keeps things brighter around the machine.. and when they're clean they look great..

What is this "when they're clean" thing that you speak of??? :thinking:

-Ron :biggrin:

What is this "when they're clean" thing that you speak of??? :thinking:

-Ron :biggrin:

If you seen what my garage looked like you wouldnt think about it... It looks like a 27 ford and a plasma table blew up in it..

Last edited:
Have a +10 yr old Jet lathe at work. It is white. Looks better than the other colors. Gray is so old looking and greenos over rated. There are stains where the oils have run but still looks good.

BTW I also have white machinery, it is a White Sewing Machine from times gone by.:))
Pierre

Epoxy and polyurethane paints are very stain resistant and look very nice when freshly painted. The biggest issue is wear and chipping resistance. If you can get a nice epoxy based very light gray it will brighten youre shop and make your work a little more easilly seen. The biggest thing you are looking for is stain resistance and chip resistance, if those are good the color will work just fine. I used to use Tractor Supply implement paint on a lot of stuff because it resisted chipping, covered well and had a nice gloss finish when cured. Worth looking around before you decide not to use white or light gray anyway. Just be carefull with epoxy paints because they have some killer vapors when applying them till they cure completely.
Bob

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the epoxy floor treatments might work? I've seen a few kits that were pretty affordable and had more than enough coating to cover a small machine. I imagine it's formulated to bond to concrete, but maybe it's just regular epoxy. If you left out the decorative flaking, would it work? :headscratch:

Back