Who's got white machinery?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was looking at my Grizzly catalog today and came to the conclusion that I really like the white color of their Polar Bear series. Now after already doing my Heavy 10's QCGB and base doors dark machine gray methinks of redoing them and the whole lathe some shade of white.

So who here has white machines and do you find it brightens up the shop a bit? Pics wanted, too! :D

I think it's a bad idea to use white:nono: White around all the oil/coolants & other liquids we use will turn dingey (sp) looking and show up worse than any other color.
Kinda like the white walls in a smokers home. JMHO

Yeah, I have an older BP clone that is white. It is now more of a tan to brown. I try to keep it clean but the white stains easily. Stick to darker colors.

Randy

I guess that's the thing. When it's new/clean it looks nice. Yeah, you're right guys. Machinery gray it shall remain.

Splat
I dont think Id give up on the white that easy. I would think a good quality paint would go along way on a machine. It might take some searching, but im sure there is a paint that will stand up on machinery.

A friend of mine has a Monarch 10EE, that is white, and the paint looks great on his machine, and the paint isnt new, its yrs old. Evey time I see that lathe, I like the white paint job. The only thing is, he got the machine that way, so has no idea what brand of paint it has on it.

I would imagine its not your low buck paint from Lowes, or home Depot.
What ever is on his 10EE does not stain, and allways looks great.

Thanks Paul. The white does look snazzy, don't it?:)) White over the grey would pro'lly require at least two coats. That'd just add more time until I get this Heavy 10 running. I'm getting impatient enough. :bitingnails:

I paint alot of my stuff an antique white. Really like the color it offsets the dark color of steel and grinding dust which gets on everything. I would stay away from a bright white in my shop because it is to clean for my work enviroment, I get very messy and dirty. Chris

My Grizz lathe and mill are that off white color, (With the green stands) and it's still not very dirty looking. Now, my Grizz jointer is dark green, so I really prefer the whiter shades over the greens.

I stayed with the Rustoleum Professional Dark Machinery Gray(DMG).....well, not really. I had to go to Lowes and while there was amazed to see they had Rustoleum Pro in quarts. On their website they only list spray and 1 gallons so I guess the quarts may be a Lowes only, I don't know but I'm happy they had it! Now, the question became...is the Smoke Gray the same color as their DMG. Well, the Smoke Grey hasn't fully cured yet and that may be why it appears ever-so-slightly lighter than the DMG.....but I suspect when it fully cures it'll be exactly the same as the DMG. The Heavy 10 looks so much better than the dark navy blue that was on there. If I went with white it would've been something like a Bone White or maybe just a hint of gray to it.

Back