Who / Where to buy 2x72 belts?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
Got a new 2x72 grinder (Black Fox Knifeworks) and will need belts. Mostly fine grit, 400-600-800 to polish rifle barrels.

Any tips or advice on where to buy, type to buy, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Trizact belts look promising for my application. Thoughts? Again, polishing rifle barrels and I want them to look awesome!

Trizact belts look promising for my application. Thoughts? Again, polishing rifle barrels and I want them to look awesome!
I've not tried those, as I mainly use their belts for general fabrication work. They're super helpful on the phone, and I suspect if you describe what you're looking to accomplish, they'll square you away.

I'm not a knife maker, but I've been buying all my 2X72 belts from Tru-Grit. I'm a very happy customer of them. No affiliation.

I can't imagine using my 2x72 for polishing rifle barrels with a belt. I did build a buffing attachment that uses the 2x72 belt for drive but barrels are easier to do on the lathe.

Last edited:
+1 on Red Label. Family run. Small company. Uses only the very best feedstock (3M etc)

- try their ceramic belts. They are more aggressive - they cut like one size coarser *BUT* they leave a finish like one belt finer.
I started with their 80 grit ceramic belts, and haven't changed from there.

I have completely migrated from 3m Zirconia belts to the ceramic ones (they cut a little cooler as well)

Got a new 2x72 grinder (Black Fox Knifeworks) and will need belts. Mostly fine grit, 400-600-800 to polish rifle barrels.

Any tips or advice on where to buy, type to buy, etc would be greatly appreciated.
I have had my Ameribrade 2x72 for about a year and have been using Combat Abrasives belts with great success. I don't do a lot of bladesmithing, but in my general blacksmithing and fabrication hobbies, I use the grinder quite a bit and the CA belts have been excellent. I've got belts from 36 grit up to 800 and find that the seam on fine grit belts creates a "thump" as it passes over the workpiece. While it doesn't seem to affect what I do, I've read that some folks doing very fine finish work hand sand after about 200 grit because they say the seam leaves a mark on the finish of their blades. I also have a few friends who really like the Red Label products, too, and have heard a lot of complimentary comments about their belts elsewhere online.

Back