Who produced the ‘original’ South Bend Lathe chucks? I have one NOS.

chrispyny

Registered
Registered
I purchased a SB heavy 10 a few years ago and with it came a new old stock in the box from South Bend Lathe, South Bend Indiana, 8” 4 jaw chuck. I washed off the cosmoline and grease, and mounted it to my 13” lathe i finally got powered up last month. I’d like to know if in fact SBL made this chuck back in the late 60’s thru the early 70’s, or if they contracted with a vendor, and just slapped their brand on it. No matter of searching the net comes up with an answer. THANKS!

Working on getting the T bolt machined for the Phase 2 wedge tool post i purchased. Then i’ll be ready to make chips. It’s only been 4 years since i brought her home. Life got busy and the finished/restored lathe sat, but unpowered for the last year. Finally i found time to install the vfd in an enclosure, mount it up, buy a belt, glued it up, and she runs great.

I cannot answer your question, but that is one great looking lathe!
And Kubota ! Bet you're out throwing snow with it right about now . :)

Skinner made a lot of chucks for South Bend. Nice chucks, the jaws have a smooth “gripping“ area, unlike most chucks these days.

I have a Skinner 6” 4-jaw on my dividing head. Looks like the little brother of the one on your lathe.

-MK

I purchased a SB heavy 10 a few years ago and with it came a new old stock in the box from South Bend Lathe, South Bend Indiana, 8” 4 jaw chuck. I washed off the cosmoline and grease, and mounted it to my 13” lathe i finally got powered up last month. I’d like to know if in fact SBL made this chuck back in the late 60’s thru the early 70’s, or if they contracted with a vendor, and just slapped their brand on it. No matter of searching the net comes up with an answer. THANKS!

Working on getting the T bolt machined for the Phase 2 wedge tool post i purchased. Then i’ll be ready to make chips. It’s only been 4 years since i brought her home. Life got busy and the finished/restored lathe sat, but unpowered for the last year. Finally i found time to install the vfd in an enclosure, mount it up, buy a belt, glued it up, and she runs great.
Apsolutely beautiful lathe, it's so nice I don't know if I'd use or get a back up

Don't operate your grinder that close to your lathe.

I have a 8" SB and a Cushman that are very similar in build and markings. They live in the bottom of a storage bin these days, because unlike the OP, mine were definitely NOT new old stock and have been replaced. I suppose I should check to see if the jaws interchange.

My 9C came with a SB branded Skinner 4 jaw.
3 jaw is a Cushman, but not marked SB.

Back