Who makes good taps?

Just a comparison . These are Hanson Irwin sets , standard and metric . I use these in at work and they work fine for threading by hand . The edges hold up if not running in a mill . The 3 gallons of taps in the bucket are all HSS of all sorts . OSG exotaps are my go to machine taps . Lot of companies copied off them .

Attachments

• IMG_8789.JPG
    IMG_8789.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8790.JPG
    IMG_8790.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 20
McMaster-Carr doesn’t list brands in the catalog, but the taps I got from them are Widia and very good quality.

Another place I would like to try is Mari Tool, they have a great reputation for their end mills and indexible tooling, but I haven’t tried their taps yet.

I like MSC because I get next day delivery without fail.

As I'm looking at these, a lot of them are ".005 oversize" - normal?

Taps go by GH numbers . GH1 -GH7s . .005 would be an oversize tap which we use quite often on our dies . The dies are baked out but we still break the bolts in the dies . Oversize threads are easy to re-tap . :) A GH3 is .0015 over for instance , every number= .0005.

Widia /GTD. Good stuff. A bit costly so I buy them onsie twosie as I need them- sometimes you can find certain sizes being liquidated on Ebay for less
-M

Personally I would stay away from taps made specifically for hand tapping. They are often made of carbon steel which won't last as long, and don't self clear the chips so the tap has to be reversed every 1/2 turn or so to break the chip. A spiral point machine tap would be my choice for through holes. With this style tap the chips are forced forward through the hole. They don't have to be backed up to break the chip and the flutes don't get clogged up.

For blind holes I would use spiral flute taps. They push the chip back up the hole so it doesn't collect at the bottom. They make it far easier to tap to within 1 thread of the bottom of the drilled hole.

There are lots of good names available on eBay. I only buy new taps from industrial suppliers like Zeitlin Industrial Supply and H&H Industrial Supply among others. Quality names I've purchased over the last 3 years include Hertel, Widia, Regal, YG1, OSG, Union Butterfield, Greenfield, Cleveland, Triumph, Morse, Eclipse, Jarvis, Pratt & Whitney, Chicago Latrobe. I most often buy them by the package rather than individually. I find this method decreases the unit cost enough to make it worth while.

I like YG1 brand taps and end mills. All Industrial seems to generally be most competitive and free shipping over $75.
Frankly I have not been able to justify purchasing anything from MSC, especially since they wrecked Enco.

Back