Who Makes A Vise Between China & Kurt?

They all look nice in the pics. The problem is your rolling the dice unless you buy a big dollar vise. With China you never know until you get it in your hands. That's why I'm so leery to pull the trigger. I'm out of the country for the next 3 years so returning something is not an easy option. Let me know how you like your vise Kennyv and wachuko.

Per the OP's title...Who Makes A Vise Between China & Kurt?..... Glacern is the only one I know of oft hand. The castings come from offshore but they are machined and assembled in southern Ca.
That might have been true in the past, but they have had an upheaval in personnel, and the business doesn't seem to be run the same as it used to. Several recent threads on various machinists sites have called this into question. YMMV, past performance, etc etc.

Conquest makes an awesome 5" vise (mini-magnum), which is the one that Tormach relabels. But it isn't any cheaper than a Kurt, and might be too large for your table (since you were shopping for a 3").

Wait for a Kurt to be on sale in Enco Sales catalog, and then wait until you can stack a 20% off coupon on it, and you get a US price for the price of an offshore one.

EDIT: since you are looking for a small vise, this might not work. I don't believe I have seen them ever have the Kurt 4" on sale, although you can always use the semi-monthly 20% sale to buy one. With a 20% off coupon, you could get the US Made Kurt 4" for near the same price as the Glacern 4" (Taiwan or China made, nobody really knows).

BTW, the Conquest mini-mag 5" vise actually has the same footprint as the Kurt 4".

Last edited:
I found a cute little whizbang from a machinist on eBay that may help, presuming the fixed jaw on your vise can be made both parallel to the X-axis and perpendicular to the table -

They describe it as "Self-Adjusting, Multi-Directional Vise Jaw Insert" and it's designed to allow you to securely clamp objects with non-parallel surfaces in a milling vise. I got one when I was clamping aluminum T-bar extrusions that are a bit tapered from top to bottom. Works like a charm. It should compensate for the gap in your vise.

Search eBay for the keyword 'quadrallel'.

I have no connection with this seller other than as a satisfied customer.

Stu

I found a cute little whizbang from a machinist on eBay that may help, presuming the fixed jaw on your vise can be made both parallel to the X-axis and perpendicular to the table -

They describe it as "Self-Adjusting, Multi-Directional Vise Jaw Insert" and it's designed to allow you to securely clamp objects with non-parallel surfaces in a milling vise. I got one when I was clamping aluminum T-bar extrusions that are a bit tapered from top to bottom. Works like a charm. It should compensate for the gap in your vise.

Search eBay for the keyword 'quadrallel'.

I have no connection with this seller other than as a satisfied customer.

Stu

This one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUADRALLEL-...ort-CNC-Vise-Vice-Jaw-Fits-KURT-/201248100482

Neat! FYI - Requires a 6" vise.

That is pretty cool, I need to make one! Just happen to have some 1 inch balls on the shelf.

Let us know

I'd be interested to know what you think about the quality and accuracy of this vice. I'm looking for a decent 4" CNC vice and don't want to refi my house to get one.

Thanks,

Tom S

Got it yesterday... this thing is solid. Let me know if there is anything you want me to measure or additional photos. But very happy with it. And looks like they discounted an additional 10% from what I paid for it... :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Super-Loc...US-Shipping-/171865479601?hash=item2803fb19b1

0e6a4e68-b893-4a83-a37b-5b96a0d13870_zpsyrkgrisf.jpg

Back