Who keeps a knowledge book?

That is what I call my "notes to self" collection. When ever I have a tough to figure job,setup,ect I make a few pencil drawings and notes and keep them in a three ring binder. Then when the same or simular issue resurfaces I remember the general deal and "think to myself" I've done this before.....and go looking for the cheat sheets I've made,sometimes years ago. They have saved a headache or two over the years. The "surge of finite magnatude" comes to mind.....
Cactus Farmer

I have dozens of 3-ring binders for all sorts of info & past projects. Coming from a more graphic-oriented career I find that indexing common references to different technologies on paper can be accessed more quickly than a paperless laptop. Besides, I have never had a 3-ring binder crash !

I have a bunch of 3-ring binders for all of my manuals and basic info from old books and websites that I use for reference. I also keep a Machinery's Handbook nearby (21st Edition) for looking up feeds, speeds, materials and stuff. I keep stickies for quick notes and a pad to sketch for the plan du jour. These plans rarely make it past the pad and end of the project. I do keep notes on some unique setups that I may use again. I keep a photo library of all of my projects in the different stages of the build and the finished projects that help too.

I operate on a seat of the pants engineering for the most part and don't figure on making the same thing twice with so many new things that I want to build. :makingdecision:

I have a question that I think is more on-topic than off-topic. As a relatively new machinist, I frequently come across machining tasks where I think, "someone must have done that before!" Things like having to attach plastic threads to the end of the metal shaft, but you cannot Mar, drill or tap the shaft. Is there a book or reference manual that has a summary of some such common problems and their solutions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do, something my dad got me doing before he passed, wish i would of took more notes........

Well being a geek, I keep anything I find useful especially on sites like this, or setup info, (or heck, anything) in Evernote where I can get to it from any of my mobile devices or the PC. Things like tips/tricks, or tool/plan ideas or anything else I know I'll want to remember. Everything is "tagged" so searching through it is very quick. Another nice thing is I can save web URLs in the notes, so all my machining related book marks are duplicated in there, so I can click straight to any site connected to the note.

Well being a geek, I keep anything I find useful especially on sites like this, or setup info, (or heck, anything) in Evernote where I can get to it from any of my mobile devices or the PC. Things like tips/tricks, or tool/plan ideas or anything else I know I'll want to remember. Everything is "tagged" so searching through it is very quick. Another nice thing is I can save web URLs in the notes, so all my machining related book marks are duplicated in there, so I can click straight to any site connected to the note.

I'm with on using evernote, all the stuff I collect immediately at hand. Shop notes are your friend. :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I use MS Excel to create calculators for the various things I use.

I have a bunch of 3-ring binders for all of my manuals and basic info from old books and websites that I use for reference. I also keep a Machinery's Handbook nearby (21st Edition) for looking up feeds, speeds, materials and stuff. I keep stickies for quick notes and a pad to sketch for the plan du jour. These plans rarely make it past the pad and end of the project. I do keep notes on some unique setups that I may use again. I keep a photo library of all of my projects in the different stages of the build and the finished projects that help too.

Materails that are difficult to cut,speed/feed are noted also time it takes,also where to find things if borrowed,tool used and comments on performance of tool ,if exotic materails note how long tool lasts before a regrind.-B

- - - Updated - - -

Materails that are difficult to cut,speed/feed are noted also time it takes,also where to find things if borrowed,tool used and comments on performance of tool ,if exotic materails note how long tool lasts before a regrind.-B

Back