Who keeps a knowledge book?

Cactus Farmer

Active User
Registered
That is what I call my "notes to self" collection. When ever I have a tough to figure job,setup,ect I make a few pencil drawings and notes and keep them in a three ring binder. Then when the same or simular issue resurfaces I remember the general deal and "think to myself" I've done this before.....and go looking for the cheat sheets I've made,sometimes years ago. They have saved a headache or two over the years. The "surge of finite magnatude" comes to mind.....
Cactus Farmer

I keep a notebook with speeds, feeds and material as well as type of cutter. That way I can flip back through it and be pretty close on feeds and speeds from the very beginning. I find that I refer to it quite often and would feel naked without it in the shop when I am working on a project. So I think a notes to self type of notebook is a great idea and should be used by every one, especially those of us with short memory spans.

Bob

Good idea, I've done it for various endeavors over the years but have'nt started one yet for machining(just started this hobby +- 6 months ago). In the meantime I rely on computer bookmarks and searches categorized fairly well.

Brian

I have been keeping a knowledge book for years about different areas of interest and research.
I like to write down all the necessary materials,vendors, tools , and detailed notes on the project step by step.
I recently bought a label printer and a laminator. They both work great. Now I laminate up to 5 mil, anything that I tend to need out of its file, and exposed to the workshop.
Thanks for the post,
Jon

When I was working I kept a perpetual notebook for years. For the last two years workin I switched to iPad. Worked great for work but whine I retired and went to working in the shop I went back to a note book. Much better for sketches than the iPad. Notebook is now for how thing went and a three ring binder for CAD sketches.

I have a 3X5 note pad with me all the time. If I think of something, I write it down. That's how the Tool & Cutter Grinder was born.

"Billy G"

I maintain a build log for each of my projects. The current engine I'm working on, which is almost finished, has a log that's 80+ pages long with many photos. I like to document machine setups, especially when I've done them for the first time. If I make a part exactly as the plans specify, I may just refer to the plans in the log, otherwise I'll try to include my actual dimensions. Sometimes that helps to troubleshoot problems later on.

Cheers,
Phil

Guess I'm like a lot of the others , I keep a 3x5 note pad in my shirt pocket and take notes
for just about everything ,speeds and feeds , materials used and current quantities , cycle times,
also handy when I'm at the opposite end of the shop and need to write something down.
At the end of the day when I'm doing my paperwork I flip through my note pad and update a
master book .

William

Absolutely... There are many things of course that I do over and over. I got those pat down and don't need to write them down. There are other things I've done that I know I won't do too often so, I write it all down and put it in a computer file. I tend to take handwritten notes while in the shop but I always find the time to re-write them in the computer.

Ray

You guys are way more organized than me. I have pieces of paper and post-it notes all over the place. Most of the things I do are one-off projects anyway.

Back