Who are the Rolls Royce of the manual machine world?

Does "refurbished as new" qualify as currently in production? :)

Wade and Monarch lathes are “Rolls Royce “ quality products

DSG lathes were termed as " Rolls Royce " back in the day when both were pick of the litter in the UK. Dave

EDIT. I believe DSG made lathes for Rolls Royce . Their airplane engines were a huge wartime business.

Last edited:
I should remind everyone you don't drive a Rolls to and from work every day. Not to mention if you did you would have a driver. So the question , what is necessary to do the particular job. Hardinge is among many of us favorites as well as Monarch 10EE . But I would suggest they are finish lathes and not meant for rough work. so, my answer would include the ones that make me the most money. At the end of the day the bills must get paid. Hard to do if you are not profitable. In my case I am a true Hobbyist so rebuilding the Old Iron is my first choice.

I guess, like everything, this is a matter of perspective. Lol

My impression of Rolls Royce is akin to a 3carat diamond. Meaning I’ve never even seen one, wouldn’t know it if I did, and would only own one if it were given to me.

So with that in mind, I was really interested to read what people would suggest as the Rolls Royce of manual metal lathes.

But after you guys are done, I think we need another thread that tells us what the Ford F150 of manual metal lathes is.

I suppose it is because of the frugal and respectful way I was raised, but typically I wear my old shirts and save the nice new ones for special times.... which seldom come. Eventually the new shirts are out of style, but still unused. I would probably do the same thing if I had a Rolls machine .... save it, oil it, polish it, but not get it dirty.

Monarch company buys used 10EE and does a complete tear down rebuild and will sell for only about 100K.

Last edited:
Back