White Spirit In Cutting Oil Recipe

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Found this recipe for a u-beaut cutting/tapping oil in an old magazine.

1 part Turps :2 parts White Spirit : 3 parts Olive Oil

Am a bit puzzled

In the USA is white spirit the same as what we call turpentine in Australia - ie you use it to thin paint and wash paintbrushes ?

In that case what is the difference between white spirit and turps in the recipe ?

Bill

G'day Bill,
turpentine is derived from the distillation of mainly pine trees here in the US,
mineral spirits or white spirits are derived from petroleum distillation.

Here's the best I could come up with. Looks like what we call mineral spirits or paint thinner in the U.S.

Product Name: LOW AROMATIC WHITE SPIRIT
Synonym: White Spirit, stoddard solvent, mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute
Product Type Chemical Solvent

I think white spirits is what is called 'mineral turpentine' in NZ and Oz, and is what most 'turps' you buy at the paint store will actually be. Real turpentine - i.e the pine tree derived stuff - you would have to search for.

From http://plascondiy.co.za/solvents-list-differences-uses/

Mineral Turpentine
MINERAL TURPENTINE / WHITE SPIRITS – This solvent is used extensively in paint manufacture and as a cleaning agent. It is slow-drying and does not evaporate easily, thus aiding adhesion of coatings to surfaces. This is important for spraying purposes. Turpentine is found as a solvent in aerosols, paint, varnishes, preservatives and furniture waxes. It is used to clean brushes as it prevents paint from hardening and ruining the bristles. Enamels and varnishes contain turps as a component. Another reason why turps is used for thinnning is to prevent negative chemical reactions.

Genuine Turpentine
GENUINE TURPS – This is a fluid obtained by distillation of resin from trees whereas mineral turps is a petroleum byproduct. Genuine turps is normally expensive as once distilled you only get between 5 to 10kg of the product from 1 ton of pulp. Used mostly by artists when doing paint mediums, genuine turpentine also has many medicinal uses, and is found in Vicks Vapor Rub.

Thanks gents - all clear now.

2 types of turps - Mineral Turps & Vegetable turps

The above recipe calls for both

Back