Which Way to Turn the Rotary Table?

I don’t have good experience with my mill and if I do the wrong move the piece will be good for the scraps. Hand cutting gives you good control but its time consuming and of course after the cut you have to do the final sanding to the drawing line (really time consuming). But as I mentioned, its a hobby and you must enjoy all work involved

Counterclockwise is climb milling. May be a factor.
Don’t forget to Allow for the cutter radius.
Climb cutting with a router (even if your router is a huge mill) should minimize tear out in the wood.
climbcutting.jpeg

Moving a router in a clockwise direction is equivalent to keeping the router still and moving the work in a counterclockwise direction. While either direction will work I would choose rotating the table in a counterclockwise to minimize tear out.

(At first what Jeff said seemed wrong from a woodworking standpoint where moving the router in a clockwise direction is climb cutting. But I had to realize the work was being moved, not the router, inversing the direction of movement).

Last edited:
I don’t have good experience with my mill and if I do the wrong move the piece will be good for the scraps. Hand cutting gives you good control but its time consuming and of course after the cut you have to do the final sanding to the drawing line (really time consuming). But as I mentioned, its a hobby and you must enjoy all work involved
Well said, we are all learning and having a blast right right?

Actually cutting the wooden gears is the easiest. I use a modified coping saw which accepts scroll saw blades and it goes very well and clean. Time consuming but after all its a hobby project
That mathew wandle is a king of woden gear stuff on youtube

He does a very good job at making it look quite easy :)

Back