Which VFD should I get for my PM-835S?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I am thinking of buying a 3 phase motor for my PM-835S from Precision Matthews so I can have variable speed without having to keep changing belts on the step pulley. I need a 220v 1 phase input, 220v 3 phase output VFD, something that can reverse directions.

Any recommendations or is that something I should also talk to PM about and order it from them also?

Any properly rated VFD will work. Look for one with Sensorless Vector control, slightly more expensive but worth every penny. Gives you more low speed torque. Sensorless Vector control could be called something else depending on the whims of the marketing department. If you have a question about it, check back here and someone will help you wade through the specs.

Don't buy the cheapest VFD on Ebay or Amazon. Teco, Automation Direct, and Lenze are good brands. There are others also.

I'm leaning towards something with a control knob instead of buttons for speed control also

Something simple like this, but for a 3 HP motor

Screenshot-20210313-120024-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

Just be sure that whatever you get it is relatively easy to program the parameters and with the proper documentation.
There are quite a few threads here on parameters most useful to home shops, since there are virtually 100's of different parameters with many only used by industrial shops. That's one reason for buying a known brand.

The usual VFD that I see people use on this type of mill is the Teco L510 series. If you are looking at the KB series I would go with the KBDF-29 which is there newer series which is also suppose to be GFCI compatible. I have used the KBMA VFD, had it on my mill for one of the drives and it was unimpressive. The easiest way to control the VFD is to strip out the high voltage to the FOR STOP REV switch and just use input 1 and input 2 on the VFD for forward and reverse. You also want to program it to not start if either input is active when it is powered up. Alternative which is also very simple is 3 wire control, momentary stop and start buttons and a sustained reverse switch. All VFD's are going to need some basic programming to get them to perform correctly and set the motor characteristics. I believe the Teco also has a removable control panel and one can get a cable extension so it could be mounted on the head.

I emailed PM and it sounds like they're never getting those motors in stock as they're not even ordering them. Guy told me they received PM-835s with 3ph motors already installed, though, but that does me no good since I already have one that's practically brand new

That’s concerning they don’t stock motors for the machines they sell. So basically if someone fries a motor for that machine, they are SOL...

I don’t have that mill, so don’t know what you need, but it might be a standard motor you can easily get. I see from the manual for that mill that the base is not standard, but a standard motor may still fit and you might need to adapt it slightly. Baldor has a lot of good information on their website. If your motor does not have a frame size on the nameplate, you can take measurements and compare to this page and see what you have.
For NEMA size motors. https://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/nema_chart_04.pdf

IEC (metric) motors. https://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/IEC.pdf

I made a control pendant for my mill and wired it into the VFD. It is not that difficult to do and uses momentary push buttons for start and stop controls and a rocker switch for forward reverse using the three wire control method in the VFD, as well as a potentiometer for speed control. I have a run/jog rocker switch as well, but have never found the need for jog yet and would eliminate that if I needed to rebuild it.

FD699078-321E-4629-AC99-80C44169F84E.jpeg

Unless your going to cnc the mill with coolant, auto start, and all the bells and whistles of a CNC set up a BKAC 27d or the next one up for bigger than 2hp by just adding a switch or two you can get bump, Reverse on/off and auto. I have one on my 2hp. Belt grinder and one on my manual mill. I used a Hitachi 1.5kw on my 2hp CNC conversion mill. Only problem with anything from KB electronics their warranty and customer service sucks a big one, they are horrible. It took a month to just get an RMA to send a blown up 27d back for warranty Repair that took another month+.To just change speeds on a manual mill it is a good choice.for that and it will do up to 2x motor speed, and best of all you can have your install done in like a couple hours if you don’t like playing with software and building electronics cabinet’s Your making chips sooner, a lot sooner This is a good way to go and pray you don’t need customer support.
CH

Unless your going to cnc the mill with coolant, auto start, and all the bells and whistles of a CNC set up a BKAC 27d or the next one up for bigger than 2hp by just adding a switch or two you can get bump, Reverse on/off and auto. I have one on my 2hp. Belt grinder and one on my manual mill. I used a Hitachi 1.5kw on my 2hp CNC conversion mill. Only problem with anything from KB electronics their warranty and customer service sucks a big one, they are horrible. It took a month to just get an RMA to send a blown up 27d back for warranty Repair that took another month+.To just change speeds on a manual mill it is a good choice.for that and it will do up to 2x motor speed, and best of all you can have your install done in like a couple hours if you don’t like playing with software and building electronics cabinet’s Your making chips sooner, a lot sooner This is a good way to go and pray you don’t need customer support.
CH
Not sure if Hitachi is any better. When I had a problem with my Hitachi vfd , I was told I would have to send it to Hitachi at my expense, they would decide if the warranty covered the problem and then it would be at least another month( vfd was one week old). Lucky for me the wire for the on/off had come loose so I easily fixed the problem.

Back