Which VFD for milling machine

I believe the motor amperage is 6.8A at 220V and either 3.1 or 3.4A at 440V. European often use a coma or slash for a decimal point. It would also indicate two voltages such as 200/230 if more than one amperage is listed. The 6.8A (or slightly less) would be a typical current for a 2 Hp 3 phase motor. The Hitachi WJ200-015SF is rated at 8 amps, the Teco, E510-202-H-U is 7.5A which would also be OK or there is the Teco, E510-203-H-U which is 10.5A. No down side to going to the next size up, other than cost. Axis 3 phase drive motor, I setup my last mill with a jog joystick with a speed pot in a small housing attached to the table. I added two high speed buttons double pole switches which set the speed to high and give a run command in the direction chosen. These are all low voltage inputs. I also recommend limit switches which go open when the table reaches it limit stop and blocks travel (low voltage run command) in that direction.

Table drive controls on left, limit switches, two VFDs for X and Z gear drives.
20160629_114644.jpg

MKSJ Thank you. I knew somebody would be able to tell me what the typical 2hp 3 phase current draw should be. Like I said, if single phase I could plow ahead, but this is my first 3 phase toy. To be honest I've passed on some good deals on awesome equipment because i was scared of the conversion, but it's time to put my big boy panties on and get at it.
I ordered the Hitachi WJ200 so hopefully it will arrive next week while I have some time off and I'll get out there and wire up that and my new lathe.

Back