Which VFD for milling machine

Birdiemc

Registered
Registered
I've searched through the history as well as I can, and it appears this question was asked a whole bunch, but not recently. I've spent hours trying to find it without starting the same thread again, but model numbers have changed since 2010 and opinions have likely changed, and hopefully the folks asking the question 10 years ago, now have 10 years experience from which to speak.
So I am looking at 2hp Teco 510 or AD GS3 to run 2hp Lagun mill.
From what I gather, but dont fully understand yet, sensorless vector control is very important and both of these have it. Both are easy enough to program for a new guy from what I have read. Other specs seem to line up between the 2. Is there a valid and quantifiable reason to spend the extra $100 for the AD, or perhaps $100 more for one I have not mentioned? I

Either unit will work fine. I like and use the GS3 units, but I'm not sure there is any advantage over the Teco units.

The simple answer is that Sensorless Vector control gives you much better low speed torque. In many cases full motor torque from 0 to rated motor speed.

I am interested in seeing how you proceed. The electrical panel on my Lagun is a work of art, and I didn't want to tear it apart to fit a VFD in there, so I went rotary to keep it simple. Please post pics as you go!

I got the 2hp Teco 510 on my lathe.works good..
On my LAGUN FTV-1 i got a cheap 5,5kw VFD (WL-9000 Series Sensor-Less Vector Frequency Converter ).. The motor is 3 hp,working just fine.
Got the 5,5kw vfd from a frend.
He got the wrong unit (1ph vs 3 ph input) from ebay and got the money back..

Getting 0,75 vfd to drive my table up/down on the mill. it has a orginal 3ph 600w motor..

I use a sumulare vfd for the power drawbar..

Last edited:
If you plan to have quick stopping say for tapping, then you would want a VFD that supports and external braking resistor. The Teco L510 does not support this and some of the generic Chinese VFDs are missing the braking circuity, otherwise the L510 is a decent low cost VFD for mills. I do not recommend them for lathes which require an external braking resistor for shorter stopping times. The same goes if you are going to use a VFD for a 3 phase drive on the X or Y axis where you want fast stopping.

The Lagun mills that I have seen were 3Hp motors and up, so check the motor name plate and also the amperage to make sure the VFD can deliver that amperage in constant torque HD mode. There is also a derating on some VFD's for higher carrier frequencies, but in general manual mills are a lighter running amperage load. Also if you look at the reliability of say the HY VFDs, they have a higher DOA and early failure rate (I have seen this quoted as high as 20-25%). So I recommend buying from a US vendor so if you have a problem, a bit easier to deal with a replacement if under warranty. Better VFDs also support more programming parameters, the manuals are better and you get technical support. The AD VFDs are a bit pricey in particular their newer GS4 model, I would also look at the Hitachi WJ200 and Teco E510 if you are going to use an external braking resistor. Longevity wise, these units use better components so the MTBF is around 20 years if that matters.

Also keep an eye for Mitsubishi. The one I have on my mill is doing very well. And I scored it for a decent price on the 'Bay.
-=- LINK -=-

I got the 2hp Teco 510 on my lathe.works good..
On my LAGUN FTV-1 i got a cheap 5,5kw VFD (WL-9000 Series Sensor-Less Vector Frequency Converter ).. The motor is 3 hp,working just fine.
Got the 5,5kw vfd from a frend.
He got the wrong unit (1ph vs 3 ph input) from ebay and got the money back..

Getting 0,75 vfd to drive my table up/down on the mill. it has a orginal 3ph 600w motor..

I use a sumulare vfd for the power drawbar..
Crap I didnt even think about the motor for the table

Thank you everybody for the helpful advice. Now I got a whole lot more reading to go do.

The same goes if you are going to use a VFD for a 3 phase drive on the X or Y axis where you want fast stopping.

The Lagun mills that I have seen were 3Hp motors and up, so check the motor name plate and also the amperage to make sure the VFD can deliver that amperage in constant torque HD mode. There is also a derating on some VFD's for higher carrier frequencies, but in general manual mills are a lighter running amperage load.
I double checked after reading your post and this is in fact a 2hp motor. I'm a bit confused as to the amperage though, it appears to say 6/8, since I know nothing about 3 phase I must defer to you guys. If it were a regular single phase I could interpret that data plate...I have the original manual that came with it but the guy who was supposed to handwrite all the pertinent data must have had a sick day. Is that thing telling me max amp draw is 8amps? If so, the Teco l510 and E510 are only rate for 7.5A output so I'll have to look elsewhere.
Also does the table drive motor need it's own VFD if its 3phase? I haven't got that part quite figured out yet. From what I've read it seems it would, because you cant switch in on and off at the machines switch correct?

Attachments

• 20191218_200921.jpg
    20191218_200921.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191218_202731.jpg
    20191218_202731.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
I think that says 6.2 and 3.1 amps for 220 and 440 respectively. But I agree it does look like 6/8, just the way it was stamped in the data plate.

Yes, the table motor would require its own VFD. You should be able to wire up the VFD control wiring to the machine switches. Of course you would have to remove the power wiring from the machine switches to do that.

Back