Which Tool Post?

reds

Active User
Registered
I recently bought a Monarch 14" x 30" CAA Lathe. I'm in the process of buying tooling.
Which quick change wedge type Tool Post do I want? BXA or CXA?

Thanks guys for all the help.
I've decided to go with the BXA from Enco and take advantage of the free shipping and 10% off.

Thanks again
Mike

chengdave2003 link=topic=454.msg1774#msg1774 date=1292621510 said:
Are you buying the piston or wedge type? I have the piston type, but many advise to get the wedge type. I hope to upgrade to the wedge type someday to see if it's any better. There's been library's of arguments of whether the wedge type is that much better than the piston type (or at least worth the cost). I've had my piston type for about ten years without complaint. I did just take it apart and clean/oil/grease it. Mine had no grease or oil of any kind in it when I took it apart and there was a bit of wear due to the lack of lubrication, not enough to worry about, but some wear nonetheless. It works much smoother now.

Dave
I bought the phase II wedge type. Enco had them on sale, plus free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Don't know the differences between a Monarch 14 CAA and 14CY/CW lathe. But I've seen people use a Aloris CA size on the 14CY/CW/CK lathes. CXA would be my chioce! BXA i think would be too small for a Monarch unless it was a 10EE.
I run AXA, BXA, and CA in my shop for what it is worth! ;D

Ken

If you buy the tool holders from CDCO be aware that you may have to open up the dovetails slightly (they can be too tight). You probably will be able to do it with a triangular file. Not much has to come off....

Also, if you buy the tool holders from CDCO be aware that about 1 out of 5 will have dovetails that are slightly too large, and the locking handle of your TP will swing around too far before they lock up. I've fixed this by epoxying a piece of .001 shim stock on one side, or just dedicating the holder to some rarely used tool. Still, CDCO is still the best deal around, even if you have to toss a holder now and then. They also have some holders that aren't listed where you'd expect, but are on their website if you search. The boring bar holder comes to mind.

Back