Which Qctp?

+1 0n enco, If you can wait for a 20% & free ship and get it for 148.00 +- .:encourage: The phase II AXA fit the craftsman 12x36 I had.

First of all whether you own, rent or are borrowing a lathe of the hobby caliber do not spend the money on Alloris. Leave that stuff to the folks that make their living from machining. I mean, holy crap, they think their stuff is made from Un-obtanium or something! Typical Chinese import junk (CDCO) will serve you well, just be prepared to do some minor modifications to the holders if they don't fit quite as well as you would like. I had to sand/grind the last few holders because of poor quality control. That being said, remember QC tool holders are totally adjustable so once you have them fitting you adjust them and your done.
More important (in my humble opinion) is your tooling. Buy well made tooling (American). If your using index-able go with the best American made you can afford. Carbide is not carbide...there is a big difference in quality. Unfortunately the industry has little control of the insert standards yet. Hopefully that will change in the future.
I had a nice chat with Andy (CEO of Borite) today and he was lamenting over the lack of industry standards regarding tooling.. I don't work for them, nor do I get any compensation from them... all I can say is their stuff is American made right in Michigan, USA. and the CEO was willing to school an "Ol.Fart" about index-able tooling free of charge. How can you argue with that? We actually had a few laughs together discussing how little I know about operating a lathe.

TL

I agree that you probably shouldn't spend what it will cost you to go Aloris, whether new or used. I didn't and my Yuasa 100 Series QCTP just turned 35 (about half my age). Unfortunately, the Chinese have done about the same thing to Japanese industry that they have to US, so the Yuasa is no longer made. But don't buy the cheapest Chinese junk, either, unless you plan to only keep your lathe a few weeks. The dollar savings isn't work the hassle you usually have to go through to get the stuff into marginally usable condition. Most of us are in this for fun. And trying to make junk work ain't any fun.

Your right, my remark regarding Chinese junk being acceptable is misleading. Not all of it is worth your time fussing with. When I posted the remark, I was thinking about my Phase II tool post. Is it the best? No. does it work? Yes. Would I like to own an Aloris? You bet! But not at a cost of $753.02 for the post and six holders. That's more than a lot of folks will spend on their lathe. The Phase II can be had $383.76 with five holders. These are new prices from Enco for the wedge type holders. Better deals can be had if you can find something used or on sale.

Group (and especially 109/AA owners),

I came across this in mail from the Yahoo 109/AA Group. As it has some bearing at least on what not to buy, I got the OP's permission to post it here.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well I’ve been using one of those $50 Quick Change Tool Posts on one of my small lathes for about 8 weeks now.

I’m not happy. The thing looks ok. But once you start to use the tool you see it’s shortcomings.

I’ll break this down into a few points both in Pros and Con’s to this set. Of course these are my opinions. Your milage may vary.

Pro’s:

Inexpensive. This is a fairly complete set for not a lot of money. I paid $49.95US for this set from a seller on eBay. I’ve seen them for as little as $44 elsewhere.

Completeness. There is a fairly comprehensive set of holders included. 2 normal lathe bit holders, also one each boring bar and parting tool holder. Also included were allen wrenches for the holders and a pair of bolts for mounting the tool post. All came in a good secure box with fitted hard foam tray.

Finish. These have a nice satin finish with the tool holders being anodized black.

Con’s:

Operation of the release lever. It’s crunchy. Does not move smoothly and the lever will not stay tight no matter how I try to keep it tight. I have not applied any thread locker to it. I should not have to.

Horrible hardware. I’ve managed to strip the hex out in at least two of the set screw that hold the cutting bits. I’m not sure if the included hex wrench is off-size or the hole in the screw is off size. I’ve searched my vast collection of hex wrenches and cannot find one that fits the screws correctly. So I’m ASSuming the screws suck.

The parting blade holder is junk. After one job of cutting a piece of hex bar it has deformed at the bottom and allowed the blade to move and get jammed in the work. Now the holder is scrap… It’s made it into the scrap bin. This would have held up if made from steel.

No additional holders are available. If you want additional holders you need to buy another complete set. Although at $44 that may not be a bad solution.

The dovetail does not fit any other size/brand of QCTP. It’s narrower than 0XA size.

Summary.

If you use your lathe infrequently you will likely be happy with this QCTP. It’s inexpensive enough to justify buying for that level of work. However it must be treated with care due what I perceive as the lack of durability.

As this is a 109 list I honestly think this setup is physically too large for these machines.

For somebody like me who uses my lathe for real work a couple sessions or more per week, this may also work for you. For me I’m just not thrilled by it. The failure of the parting holder was the final straw.

I’ll be ordering a new steel 0XA set off eBay sometime this week.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

Mike N

Well I’ve been using one of those $50 Quick Change Tool Posts on one of my small lathes for about 8 weeks now.

I’m not happy. The thing looks ok. But once you start to use the tool you see it’s shortcomings.

I’ll break this down into a few points both in Pros and Con’s to this set. Of course these are my opinions. Your milage may vary.

Pro’s:

Inexpensive. This is a fairly complete set for not a lot of money. I paid $49.95US for this set from a seller on eBay. I’ve seen them for as little as $44 elsewhere.

Completeness. There is a fairly comprehensive set of holders included. 2 normal lathe bit holders, also one each boring bar and parting tool holder. Also included were allen wrenches for the holders and a pair of bolts for mounting the tool post. All came in a good secure box with fitted hard foam tray.

Finish. These have a nice satin finish with the tool holders being anodized black.

Con’s:

Operation of the release lever. It’s crunchy. Does not move smoothly and the lever will not stay tight no matter how I try to keep it tight. I have not applied any thread locker to it. I should not have to.

Horrible hardware. I’ve managed to strip the hex out in at least two of the set screw that hold the cutting bits. I’m not sure if the included hex wrench is off-size or the hole in the screw is off size. I’ve searched my vast collection of hex wrenches and cannot find one that fits the screws correctly. So I’m ASSuming the screws suck.

The parting blade holder is junk. After one job of cutting a piece of hex bar it has deformed at the bottom and allowed the blade to move and get jammed in the work. Now the holder is scrap… It’s made it into the scrap bin. This would have held up if made from steel.

No additional holders are available. If you want additional holders you need to buy another complete set. Although at $44 that may not be a bad solution.

The dovetail does not fit any other size/brand of QCTP. It’s narrower than 0XA size.

Summary.

If you use your lathe infrequently you will likely be happy with this QCTP. It’s inexpensive enough to justify buying for that level of work. However it must be treated with care due what I perceive as the lack of durability.

As this is a 109 list I honestly think this setup is physically too large for these machines.

For somebody like me who uses my lathe for real work a couple sessions or more per week, this may also work for you. For me I’m just not thrilled by it. The failure of the parting holder was the final straw.

I’ll be ordering a new steel 0XA set off eBay sometime this week.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

Mike N

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I live in Great Britain UK & have a Chinese import QCTP simuilar tot eh US AXA size two . Mine cost me £ 194 ( $260 USD ish ) I purchased two extra tool holders when I got it , Now nearly three years later I've gone back to the original Chinese seller and asked to buy four more .
Yes he is still selling these good quality QCTP's , the price for extra tool holders has however more than doubled to be £ 20 each $ 26 . So if you do take the step to get a decent QCTP think hard about buying several extra square bar and a couple of round bar tool holders , you'll soon find you need them .

...do not spend the money on Alloris...

Just gotta disagree with this. My one and only Phase II holder is a real piece of junk; so poorly made it is embarrassing. The rest of my AXA holders are Aloris; some bought new, some used, some that came with the lathe.

Look at how the tool holder opening is misshapen. If you intend to do precision work, why handicap yourself with inferior tooling?

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

lathe-1_zps6rylbrer.jpg

i have to disagree, a talented machinist can perform exacting work with modest or even inferior tooling.
the precision is in the operator, the tool(ing) is merely an extension.

We can agreeably disagree. If you are so highly skilled that you welcome the handicap, you're welcome to it.

I have other imported tools but was simply amazed at the poor quality.

the OP stated he'd like to do it cheap.
the clone toolposts and toolholders will most likely be sufficient for anything he desires to turn.
i'm sure the handicap will be manageable by the OP.

Back