Which QCTP to purchase?

Mrlathe

Registered
Registered
Hi guys I'm looking to purchase a quick change tool post for my mini lathe.
Any advice or info welcomed on which to go for.
Thanks

When you say mini-lathe, what size is it?
Is it a 7x, 8x, 9x? If it's a 9x I'd suggest one of the cheap AXA styles you can find from a variety of sources, I have one from I believe CDCO Tools in my 9" Seneca Falls lathe and have been very happy with it. If yours is smaller than a 9", I have no experience so kindly disregard.

Measure the top of the saddle to centre of height. Shars has a paper on choosing nXA tool posts based on this dimension.

I'd steer clear of the aluminium ones that go cheaply on eBay and the like. I went for one of those on mine before moving to a steel wedge type (as sole by Arc Euro Trade here in the UK) and what a difference in rigidity! The alu ones seem to wear quickly too so after about 6 months I decided it wasn't worth keeping.

I'm going with a wedge style as I've heard the alu piston ones don't last

I swapped out an aluminum piston type that came with my 7x for a steel wedge 0XA style and it was a real improvement.

I have the OXA QCTP sold by Little Machineshop on my Sherline. It seems well made, and is a steel, wedge type. I have been happy with mine.

They have a chart to help you find the right set up for your lathe.

Thanks for the replies guys I'm going with a QCTP wedge style from Arceurotrade

I would go with the AXA size, biger tool post is more ridged. There are tons more tool holders around used. You can get holders xl size for 5/8”(15.875mm) shanks. There is an old saying, To much strength is under rated. :)
CH

Back