Which parameters cause VFD to ramp-up faster?

This is my latest and greatest rendition of the XSY-AT1 manual interpretation. I don't know ALL about it but keep learning! Use it at your own discretion. If you have input, I would like to see it :)
Aaron
Very useful, thanks.

This is my latest and greatest rendition of the XSY-AT1 manual interpretation. I don't know ALL about it but keep learning! Use it at your own discretion. If you have input, I would like to see it :)
Aaron
Aaron, thank you very much for your notes regarding settings and configuration.
They are very helpful to me.

BTW
That's why I registered on this wonderful Forum to read them! :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm glad it has been helpful. I've added another one to a belt grinder that I built.

Still have to do a little modification to the VFD on my big drill press as it cuts out occasionally (error 6) when a higher load is encountered. But it's outside in the annex so have to wait for some warmer weather (right now 16 F).

Aaron

PS I wondered why you were up so early as I was when your message came through. Then I noticed that you are 7 or 8 time zones east of me. :)

I'd like to get my VFD to ramp-up speed of my motor faster but can't find a "ramp-up" parameter. Only a brake and jog setting of 0-2.5sec and the attached list of other setting that may be relevant:

Edit: P34 Main rising velocity did the trick - changed from 25 to 100. What do the other rising velocity's do?

Will this put more strain on the VFD?
I would need to see the P0 to P11 params

Since English is not my native language,
I took the liberty of explaining the exact meaning of the sentence via ChatGPT 3.5.
Here's the answer:

Bart
What does this mean in the context of VFD, explain it to me more: "Main Rising velocity Hz/s"?
ChatGPT
In the context of Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), the term "Main Rising Velocity Hz/s" likely refers to the rate at which the frequency (in Hertz) of the output voltage is increased over time. Let's break down the components of this term:
  1. Main: This indicates that it is a primary or significant parameter related to the VFD operation.
  2. Rising Velocity: This implies a change or increase in speed. In the context of VFDs, the term "velocity" is often used metaphorically to represent the rate of change of a parameter, such as frequency.
  3. Hz/s: Hertz per second is a unit of measurement for the rate of change of frequency over time. Hertz (Hz) is the unit of frequency, and in this case, it's the frequency of the electrical output. So, "Hz/s" indicates the change in frequency per second.
In practical terms, the "Main Rising Velocity Hz/s" setting could be a parameter that allows you to control how quickly the VFD increases the frequency of the output voltage, and consequently the speed of the connected motor. This setting can be crucial in applications where a gradual and controlled acceleration of the motor is necessary to avoid mechanical stress or other issues.
Adjusting the "Main Rising Velocity Hz/s" parameter allows you to fine-tune the acceleration characteristics of the VFD, ensuring a smooth and controlled increase in motor speed. Different applications and types of motors may require specific acceleration profiles, and this parameter gives you the flexibility to tailor the VFD's behavior to suit the needs of your system.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bart:
What does this mean in the context of VFD, explain it to me more: "Main Rising velocity 1-1000 Hz/s Ramp up time Sets how fast motor comes up to speed(lower number = slower ramp up)60 Hz divided by this value = seconds to full RPM"
ChatGPT:
In the context of a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD), the provided information relates to two key parameters: "Main Rising Velocity" and "Ramp up time," and it explains how these parameters affect the speed at which a motor reaches its full rotational speed (RPM) after starting. Let's break it down:

1. **Main Rising Velocity (Hz/s):**
- This parameter specifies the rate at which the motor accelerates, expressed in hertz per second (Hz/s).
- A higher value means a faster acceleration, and a lower value means a slower acceleration.

2. **Ramp Up Time:**
- Ramp up time determines how quickly the motor reaches its full speed.
- The relationship is inversely proportional: a lower number for ramp up time results in a slower acceleration (slower ramp-up), and a higher number means a faster acceleration (faster ramp-up).

3. **Calculation for Seconds to Full RPM:**
- The information provides a formula to calculate the time it takes for the motor to reach its full RPM.
- The formula is 60 Hz divided by the "Main Rising Velocity" value.
- This calculation gives you the time, in seconds, required for the motor to attain its full rotational speed.

In summary, adjusting the "Main Rising Velocity" and "Ramp Up Time" parameters on a VFD allows you to control how quickly the motor accelerates to its maximum speed after starting. If you want a slower and smoother acceleration, you would use a lower value for these parameters, and the formula helps you estimate the time it takes for the motor to reach its full RPM based on these settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bart:
Provide specific speed examples based on your explanation: "Calculation for Seconds to Full RPM: The information provides a formula to calculate the time it takes for the motor to reach its full RPM. The formula is 60 Hz divided by the "Main Rising Velocity" value. This calculation gives you the time, in seconds, required for the motor to achieve its full rotational speed".
ChatGPT:
Certainly! Let's use a hypothetical example to illustrate the calculation for seconds to full RPM based on the given information:
Assume:
Main Rising Velocity (Hz/s) = 10 Hz/s
Now, use the formula:
ChatGPT 3.5_01.jpg
In this example, if the Main Rising Velocity is set to 10 Hz/s, it would take approximately 6 seconds for the motor to reach its full RPM.

This demonstrates how adjusting the Main Rising Velocity parameter on a VFD affects the time it takes for the motor to accelerate to its full rotational speed. If you were to increase the Main Rising Velocity, the time to reach full RPM would decrease, and if you were to decrease it, the time would increase, providing a slower ramp-up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bart:
Give me more examples.
ChatGPT:
Certainly! Let's consider a few more examples to illustrate how the Main Rising Velocity
and the calculated time to reach full RPM are related:
ChatGPT 3.5_02.jpg

These examples demonstrate the inverse relationship between the Main Rising Velocity and the time it takes for the motor to achieve its full rotational speed. As the Main Rising Velocity increases, the time to reach full RPM decreases, and vice versa.

BTW
It seems that this artificial intelligence can understand some technical complexities for us,
even if we do not know a foreign language well! :)

Last edited:
Back