Which parameters cause VFD to ramp-up faster?

martik777

Active User
Registered
I'd like to get my VFD to ramp-up speed of my motor faster but can't find a "ramp-up" parameter. Only a brake and jog setting of 0-2.5sec and the attached list of other setting that may be relevant:

Edit: P34 Main rising velocity did the trick - changed from 25 to 100. What do the other rising velocity's do?

Will this put more strain on the VFD?

Attachments

• vfd1.jpg
    vfd1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 30
  • vfd2.jpg
    vfd2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You can have banks of pre-sets , so you could change the acel , decel times in groups, for example you could have one specifically for tapping.

This is my understanding of this feature but I havn't personally used the banks of settings feature.

Stu

I've wondered about these 'presets'. This would be great! Anyone using such a thing on the VFD you have?
Thanks
Aaron

It will not hurt the VFD or motor if you shorten the times. I would include the name/manufacture and model number of the VFD so we know where to look for additional information. The individual setting (P35-P49) most likely correlate to the individual speed settings (p27-p32) which are fixed speeds. Typically the acceleration and deceleration times are set somewhere earlier (P1-P12) which are global settings. The program parameters do not correlate to any VFD that I have seen.

On at least one of the VFD's I have, there is a parameter named 'motor number' (EDIT Machine Number). Could this be the designation of one of several motors? Each having its own set of parameters.
Aaron

Last edited:
It will not hurt the VFD or motor if you shorten the times. I would include the name/manufacture and model number of the VFD so we know where to look for additional information. The individual setting (P35-P49) most likely correlate to the individual speed settings (p27-p32) which are fixed speeds. Typically the acceleration and deceleration times are set somewhere earlier (P1-P12) which are global settings. The program parameters do not correlate to any VFD that I have seen.

Got it. P34 is the primary acceleration, P42 is the primary deceleration rate. This is uaully set in seconds to the maximum speed, but in actuality it is specifying the change in Hz/S, one reason why VFD's stop faster as you lower the Hz. Haven't seen that manual before.

Got it. P34 is the primary acceleration, P42 is the primary deceleration rate. This is uaully set in seconds to the maximum speed, but in actuality it is specifying the change in Hz/S, one reason why VFD's stop faster as you lower the Hz. Haven't seen that manual before.

This is my latest and greatest rendition of the XSY-AT1 manual interpretation. I don't know ALL about it but keep learning! Use it at your own discretion. If you have input, I would like to see it :)
Aaron

Attachments

• XSY-AT1 Aaron's Notes.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 30
I just found this online. So, I think it says that IF the service factor (S.F) is greater than 1.0, The 1st current overload amps can be set to that value. I.E., if the service factor is 1.15, then the 2nd current overload (EDIT 1st current overload) can be set to 1.15 times the motor plate amps value.

I looked at the motor plates on my machines and only one of them listed a service factor greater than 1.0

Profile photo for Andrew Metzger
Andrew Metzger
, Vocational Airframe and Powerplant & Gas Turbine Engines, Buffalo, NY (2004)
Answered 3 years ago

There are several current settings in any given VFD, usually rated or nameplate current, boost current, and OL current are the bare minimums.
Rated current is to be set to the same number you'll find in amperes on the motor nameplate. Boost current is a temporary increase in current usually given as a percentage of rated current (≥100%) OL current is the maximum current passed before the drive triggers an overload condition ideally this is set to rated amperage×SF (listed on motor nameplate) or SFA, which is also provided for on the nameplate.

Last edited:
Back