Which of these options would be better?

Well the pieces are cut at least. I made an arbor out of 1/2" 12L14. Drilled and tapped for a 10-32 screw. I had two kinds of dremel disks. One from my kit and a second set of disks actually made by Dremel. The Dremel disks had a metal reinforcement at the center for some sort of proprietary arbor. The diameter of the hole was much larger, about 4.7mm. A 10-32 is about 5mm. I just so happened to have a 4.8mm and 4.9mm reamer. I opened up the metal opening to 4.9mm. I was able to get the 10-32 screw through. Used a washer and tightened it up.

The drill press complained mightily, but slowly I was able to cut off two pieces. Surprisingly the rod didn't seem to get that hot.
PXL_20210605_215651487.jpgPXL_20210605_215733343.jpg
Wheel didn't wear much. Original diameter was 1.5". Chucked the little pins in the lathe to face them off and make a tiny bevel for ease of insertion. Used carbide for that. Next have to make a little slot at the end of each pin.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. They were helpful and got me to think of alternate ways to accomplish this.

Back