Which of these options would be better?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to make a clamp to hold a dremel tool somewhat rigidly. This is to cut off some M2 rod to a precise length and to make a straight partial cut in it. At the moment, my mill is tied up while I wait for an end mill with a longer LOC. So it's out of action for a little while. But I have a mini-lathe. After rummaging through my stock, I came up with two ideas.

1. I have a piece of 4" x 4.1" x 1" 6061. I could grab it end wise (piece sticking out from the 4 jaw) and face off the end to about 4". Then I could bore a 1.86" hole in the center of the 4x4 face to fit the dremel body. Then I could drill and tap a screw to close the slot, which I would make last. Having the piece rotating like that seems weird, but maybe it is doable.

2. I have some 0.75" x 1.5" CRS. I could cut off pieces 3 inches long. Then face the ends, similar to the 6061 idea. Then I could clamp them together to form a 3" x 3" x 0.75" thick piece. I would use the 4 jaw to clamp the pieces together. Then I would bore the 1.86" diameter hole through the "crack" in the center of the 3x3 face. I guess I could grind one of the legs of the "U" to make an effective slot. I would put in two screws to hold it together.

Which idea is better? Or none of the above? The ideas seem plausible, but I'd like not to do something really stupid. Stupid increases your chances of getting hurt. Got any better ideas? Have mini-lathe, and hand drill. Might be able to set up drill press. It's been sitting unused on the floor since I got the mill. This doesn't have to be fancy, just good enough to a) clamp the dremel, and b) allow me to grab the dremel clamp in an (aweful) xy vise.

Does your dremel have threads on the nose? The model I have does have a threaded nose, and I use that, avoiding having to squeeze the body of the tool .

No, it's a knock off. No threads, nothing to grab, save for a 1.5" long section that at least is circular. I've seen other dremel like devices and people grab them near the nose. It's a weird nozzle like shape there. I'd need a profile gauge, or something like that to be able to copy it. Easier, I would think to make a 1.85" diameter circular bore.

I am wrong. Just looked at it again. There's some plastic threads at the nose. That and maybe a cradle or rest to hold the weight could work.

Last edited:
So you’re trying to use the dremel as a stationary almost mill? How much actual work are you trying to do? I find the and its knockoffs gutless. I made a stationary die grinder out of the cheap HF die grinder and it’s a beast. And way safer in stationary form IMHO.

Just for a couple of operations. Chop off a couple of 0.1875" diameter M2 pieces and then cut two small slots partially through for a retaining washer. I agree dremels are gutless. I do have a die grinder, but the air is in the garage, not in my shop. It seems out of two respondents (so far,) neither thinks my ideas above were practical. That's ok and kind of why I was asking.

But effectively wanted to make an almost mill for this. That way things could be aligned so the slot would be cut properly. The slot should be cut so that it would make a circle if cut all the way through, not an ellipse. (Perpendicular to the axis.) Overall, this dremel idea is less practical than I had hoped.

A circular slot is a lot more HD than a dremel is made for in my experience. I have gotten close to doing almost the mini mill for small stuff and I might still. I have a small rotary table and enough 80/20 for sure. The die grinder I’m talking about is electric and was like $40. I took the aluminum nose off and turned true and made clamp mounts to mount it to the 80/20.

Attachments

• FD24EF0A-02E9-43A7-AC7D-83B96F77CB6C.jpeg
    FD24EF0A-02E9-43A7-AC7D-83B96F77CB6C.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 56AB2A8B-3C55-4D08-BBBF-C5764987BACD.jpeg
    56AB2A8B-3C55-4D08-BBBF-C5764987BACD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 3B7D2221-0561-49E6-9FA7-DEBBFDC333ED.jpeg
    3B7D2221-0561-49E6-9FA7-DEBBFDC333ED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Not wanting to do a circular slot. Just a partial cut into the stock, like about 1/3 the way in. I'm only talking 0.06" deep on one side only.
Exactly like this:
1622858575471.png
The rod is what I want to make. It's made of M2 steel. It's only 0.1875" diameter and 9/16" long. I need to make two of them.

Realized those were really old pix and here’s a closeup of the mount, lock and raise and lower gear.

Attachments

• A997227E-E441-4508-B4C2-59666A3755AB.jpeg
    A997227E-E441-4508-B4C2-59666A3755AB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Way fancier than I need, but very cool. I just need to make those itty bitty pins with retaining cut.

Not wanting to do a circular slot. Just a partial cut into the stock, like about 1/3 the way in. I'm only talking 0.06" deep on one side only.
Exactly like this:
View attachment 368178
The rod is what I want to make. It's made of M2 steel. It's only 0.1875" diameter and 9/16" long. I need to make two of them.
Ahh, the light goes on! Pics are the best. Yeah, my rig would do that. I’ve clamped angle as a fence to the little table and made similar cuts.

Back