Which model SB is this?

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Found a potential addition to the shop. It appears to have been modified (110VAC), but other than that it might be a good bigger brother to my HF 7x14 in my small shop. Any idea what it is (or was)? Thanks.

Tom00f0f_1J8SAFvP2AK_600x450.jpg

00f0f_1J8SAFvP2AK_600x450.jpg

It's a South Bend 9" Model B or C, with standard change gears ( no Quick Change Gear Box) and what looks to be a very long bed! 54"? The serial number will be located on the bed way, nearest you at the farthest right hand edge if you are facing the lathe from the front. We can give you alot of info then

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Looks like a 9" model C. Make sure you get the change gears. I've made a ton of stuff on mine.

It's a South Bend 9" Model B or C, with standard change gears ( no Quick Change Gear Box) and what looks to be a very long bed! 54"? The serial number will be located on the bed way, nearest you at the farthest right hand edge if you are facing the lathe from the front. We can give you alot of info then

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Looks like a 9" model C. Make sure you get the change gears. I've made a ton of stuff on mine.

Yeah I second piney's advice. Make sure you get the change gears! A new set will cost you $150-200 making a good deal, not so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I also concur that is a model C. A model B would have a power cross feed. These are good machines and can do even the most challenging jobs.

As already mentioned make sure you get all the change gears because you can't do much without them.

Paul

Well, the asking price is $700 OBO and there are no other gears with the lathe. It does currently produce parts and comes with a 5" chuck, a 6" chuck, a four jaw chuck, and a steady rest. I priced a change gear set for the SB 9 at ~$130 + shipping on fleabay. If I could get this lathe for a more reasonable price, headstock bearings are ok and the ways aren't beat to heck, I may go for it and rebuild it. That long bed and a 6" chuck might do work the HF 7x14 can't handle.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Back