Which Milling Machine To Buy?

Take a look at the PM 935. It's a regular Bridgeport style but in about a 3/4 scale size. You might be able to break it down and move it in pieces.

65BAJA;

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that is still too large. The biggest and heaviest that I could possibly get into my basement shop would be the HF Rong-Fu type round post machine that I mentioned in my OP, and even that is going to be a bear for me. Sizing things up so far, I'd have to say that CountryGuy or (was it Rick9345?) is right about the Grizzly G0704 being the way to go. Round column machines are probably going to be more of a pain to re-tram every time the head is lowered or raised as others have indicated and the Grizzly probably has enough mass for the kind of projects that I am interested in (machining parts for Kozo's locomotives, for instance). And the Grizzly facility is within driving distance for me here in PA. Too bad it can't be had with a motorized X-axis, but oh well, those are the breaks, I guess.

You can buy a power feed for a G0704. I put one on my PM25 and it works great.

You can't really go wrong with the 704. It's got such a huge following. Besides you can probably add power to the X at any time.

As far as I can tell, I'm in sort of the same place you are. You are still a youngster though, but I think I can see where you are coming from.
IF (big if) I upgrade my second hand Grizzly 8689, I would go to the Grizzly 0704 or the PM version thereof. This is a Hobby
machining site after all, and my hobby is making and modifying telescopes, telescope mounts and ancillary equipment for my main
hobby which is astronomy. I would stick to the rectangular dovetail column style and avoid the round column. much more stable.
I have friends that have Bridgeports which I have used and they are remarkable, but given a little time and patience, I still can do some
great stuff with my little mini mill. After all a hobby is a means having fun, stimulating the mind, relaxation and the feeling of accomplishments.
Living fairly close to a Grizzly outlet, would be a great way to combine a road trip into picking up your machine, and I do like road trips.
Keep on swarfing!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Thanks for the input Chuck. Yes, I am pretty much settled on the Grizzly or PM version of it. The hobby I am pursuing is making (or trying to make) Kozo Hiraoka's switchers (love the Shay!). One can do a remarkable amount of work on a 9 X 20 lathe, but a more capable "mill" than the Taig would be a real convenience. I really dislike the rotating column on the Taig which is so easily knocked out of tram, so there is another plus to the square (and fixed) column mill. I had considered one of those mini-mills such as you have, but it would not be much of a step up from the Taig in terms of size and work envelope. Glad you are happy with yours though! By the way; I am "a youngster" at age 61? Okay! You have me chuckling here.

Curtis -
I have an older Grizzly G1007/RongFu 30 mill, and I'm using it just about every day on my current project. Others have mentioned a couple of factors, including the loss of zero when the column is moved. I'll add another - you have to open the tin belt box to access the draw bar nut every time you want to change tools. Keeping the spindle from turning while doing so is also a hassle, unless you buy something like:
http://www.luminarproducts.com/spindle-spline-wrench.html

Other thoughts, in no particular order -

Rick Sparber has an Enco RF30 clone. His website has several articles that may be of interest to you.
http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm#8

You mentioned you were a bit disabled, so I'll add this - My mill is on a 29" high table and when the column is cranked up, tool changes involve either tiptoes or a step stool. Finally, turning the crank to raise the head is nice whole-body exercise. [Of course, the head elevation crank on the Grizzly is up pretty high, isn't it? But I'll bet it's geared better.]

That said, the RF30 is a lot more capable mill than the mini-mill (HF 44991) I also own. Larger work envelope, stiffer, etc.

If you're at all serious about the HF mill, I'd very strongly suggest giving it a close personal look. Might be good, but I've been disappointed by HF tools too often to buy one (especially such a major purchase) without thoroughly checking it out. And be sure to factor in HF's poor after-sales service.

As for the G0704, I've lusted after one for some time, and narrowly missed buying one from Craigslist about a year ago. Durn! Somebody else suggested the PM-25 as an alternative:
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-MV-BenchMills.html
I've heard nothing but good comments about Precision Matthews and about machinetoolsonline's responsiveness. Grizzly is good, too.

Best wishes, whatever your decision is. If you come up with any specific questions about the RF30, please feel free to PM me.

John, Thanks for the info and the link to rick sparber's website. This is the kind of information that is really useful and appreciated. And by the way, if I haven't already mentioned it I appreciate the constructive and useful input that everyone has taken the time to give me. It has made this decision much easier for me. Ralph mentioned the reason why several people have suggested a Bridgeport and I know that it would be wonderful to have, but even if I could buy, transport, take it down and reassemble one it still would not fit in my basement and my garage is not an option. As noted above, I think the Grizzly will suit me best. With my neighbor's help, I am sure that we could get it into the basement and set up. But I am still going to give Rick Sparber's website a look.

As far as I can tell, I'm in sort of the same place you are. You are still a youngster though, but I think I can see where you are coming from.
IF (big if) I upgrade my second hand Grizzly 8689, I would go to the Grizzly 0704 or the PM version thereof. This is a Hobby
machining site after all, and my hobby is making and modifying telescopes, telescope mounts and ancillary equipment for my main
hobby which is astronomy. I would stick to the rectangular dovetail column style and avoid the round column. much more stable.
I have friends that have Bridgeports which I have used and they are remarkable, but given a little time and patience, I still can do some
great stuff with my little mini mill. After all a hobby is a means having fun, stimulating the mind, relaxation and the feeling of accomplishments.
Living fairly close to a Grizzly outlet, would be a great way to combine a road trip into picking up your machine, and I do like road trips.
Keep on swarfing!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Chuck, noting that your hobby is astronomy/making telescopes and that you are older than I am, I was wondering if you recall that (or were aware that) Edmund Scientific used to sell the do-it-yourself reflector telescope kits which included two round glass blanks for the mirror and an assortment of abrasive grits with which to grind the mirror? After doing this you had to send the finished blank somewhere to have it coated with aluminum or silver to make a parabolic mirror out of it. I was a kid back when they sold these kits and wasn't able to afford one of them back then. Sadly, no longer available after Edmund Scientific left Barrington, New Jersey.

I did not know that, and it cements my decision to get one.

Here's a pic of my PM25 milling oiling galleys in the saddle of my 9x39 mill. This is the old model PM25 and near identical to the G0704. You can see the x-axis power feed on the left side of the table. Good little mill. :)

DSCN4255.jpg

DSCN4255.jpg

Matt at PM is offering a bolt on X power feed for the PM-25. It is on my short list of must haves.

I have had the x axes power feed on my 704 scinc right after Ibought it. I got it from lathemasters before grizzly got them in. I would like to get or build a power feed for the z to move the head up and down.

Back